Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on light blocking screen...

Working on the basis that the closer you put a screen to your observing position, the smaller it needs to be, I invested in a black clip on parasol (meant to be used on prams & pushchairs), from the baby department at Boots.  I clip this onto my finder bracket. You can just about see it in the photo.  If I'm imaging I remove it once I'm setup to stop the wind blowing my scope around.  I have also mounted it on a photo tripod on occasions.

9223352070_c4c3af0f4a.jpg

My imaging setup by porkyb, on Flickr

I have 13 street lights to contend with, so there is no way I could screen them by other means.

Genuine. But if you're using a Dobsonian it'll cause issues with balance. You provided a very good idea though. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not post very often but am at a loss to know as to what illegal activities are being talked about according to the moderators

Have they actually READ what has been discussed because most if not all of the posts are talking of screens etc.

I would like to be illuminated please!!

I do not post very often but am at a loss to know as to what illegal activities are being talked about according to the moderators

Have they actually READ what has been discussed because most if not all of the posts are talking of screens etc.

I would like to be illuminated please!!

Please read post #21 of this thread.

Emad hope your meeting with the Council Lighting Engineer works out works for you. Just for information the catenary wire and  associated galvanized accessories, sold under the pre-packaged name of Eliza Tinsley, can be had from B&Q and most good hardware stores  :)

Greetings

I thought I'd add my soloution to the problem of street lighting because it is a serious issue with most of us. I was going to string everyone along with a rare earth magnet solution but this is a real solution using the same magnets.

I have 2 street lamps within 20m of my obsy they always cause issues to the southern views but as long as my target is not in a direct line with either of them this cowl seems to be quite effective at reducing their influance on my photography sessions.

post-28592-0-54403900-1405961844_thumb.j

post-28592-0-48044900-1405961834_thumb.j

if you look in these two pictures you can see the posts in the background also around the end of my tube is some black mount board the sort of thing you would mount photographs for competitions well thats where this came from I am going to use 4 rare earth magnets to attach the card to the end of the tube because they can be moved around to block the lights as the tube slews, the card is a little on the wide side which allows a good 30 mins imaging time before the card may need to be rotated around to block the lights again hence the magnets for ease of positioning.

I hope this is of help to you as it is a serious issue to all of us.

long live the mystery of magnets lol..

clear skies

Andy

She put down a request to start dimming our street and also within 6 weeks will cut down the light column by 1 meter.

after 4 or five threads relating to this one light you finally get a result and don't think it's worth sharing it with the peeps that have been following #streetlight@Emads.com  :eek:  :confused:  :eek:  :confused:

I noticed some sort of node has been installed on top of the ugly beast outside. They said they were going to activate the dimming for this and other lights on our back street by the end of the week. I'm guessing it's for dimming...let's see if that makes any difference. I'm not full of faith though, I have to see it to believe it.

post-27451-0-69780200-1406290995_thumb.j

I'm not holding my breath...like you say..pudding and eating and all that :)

What I don't understand is she said they install nodes for dimming and it'll be for the entire street, yet I see one of these things on top of the streetlight at the bottom of my garden...how's that the whole street, or my light is a different story..?!

Archived