Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on light blocking screen...

I (well the kids) have got a portable basket ball stand which I use to block the light from the street light which over looks our garden.  When the base is not filled with water, it is reasonably easy to move, but the dimensions of the screen part are probably only ~40x50cm, so probably not big enough for what you need?  On the plus side, when you are not using the scope, you can shoot some hoops  :cool:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be ideal to raise the fence 40 cm which I need to block the edge of the light down the road. How do you fix these to a normal wooden fence?

Doh! got half way through typing a reply then heard my wife shout that our 2 year old had pood in the bath! :( Took quite a while to sort out due to my OCD germ freak tendancies :D

Anyway, I simply used large headed screws and screwed it to the fence as the screws fit between the bits of bamboo but the heads of the screws hold the bamboo to the fence. I used quite a few screws on the fence uprights and some long the top and bottom of the fence. You could also use clout nails instead. 

It was realy windy the other day and I'm pleased to say that the screening was fully intact afterwards :)

They sell screening in a number of materials not just bamboo, they do it UPVC and whicker etc.

Chris

Anyway, I simply used large headed screws and screwed it to the fence as the screws fit between the bits of bamboo but the heads of the screws hold the bamboo to the fence. I used quite a few screws on the fence uprights and some long the top and bottom of the fence. You could also use clout nails instead. 

Use large washers to spread the load on the bamboo from the screw head. This is very cheap, easy and will prolong the life of your bamboo.

Paul

Doh! got half way through typing a reply then heard my wife shout that our 2 year old had pood in the bath! :( Took quite a while to sort out due to my OCD germ freak tendancies :D

Anyway, I simply used large headed screws and screwed it to the fence.....

Wow!

I'd have just flushed it!!

Oh, hold on ... :D

How about using an electric stapler?

I tried a heavy duty stapler to begin with but I found that the staples weren't deep enough. You might have better luck with a different type of staple though.

I would go with Pauls idea of placing large washers onto screws so the washers press over a large area of the bamboo, If I need to replace mine at any point I will be doing it this way.

hi emad i made a ply flag to block my street light and it worked very well it was made from 6mm marine ply and screwed to a post then the post was drilled and bolted to the fence at the bottom and just g clamp at the top of the fence and no problem with wind all so if you put it half way between your street light and your scope then you dont have to go as high as the street light.

this is what i did.

post-12098-0-50972300-1405374685_thumb.j

and if you need to use brushwood screening or bamboo us 2 layers and in between use ground matting it will block out the light and can be fixed with cable clips.

Hi emad, just wondering why you moved next door, to wear you used to live noing that the street light would do your nut in?

sent from my Sony Xperia

I like the area, and even the sky here is decent. However, being an expensive area...this house was a catch. And like most people you don't necessarily get to pick and choose that much considering the astronomical property prices.

very true emad just sounded weired moving next door thats all :smiley:

Ah well, for astronomical activities Whitehill is very convenient. We're totally surrounded by two large nature reserves. It's only the damn streetlights..  I guess a lot of people will prefer to move to an area where they can be certain they'll have good neighbors :)

Sounds a good idea , but not sure how many average non-scaffolder folk would lift a " twenty-one" vertically 2-1/2 feet without it toppling and causing mayhem in the backyard ...  :rolleyes:

I think you will find Emad and probably others are looking for something in the order of 10 - 12 feet long, which should be no problem. Most of the scaffold poles are in 2" tube alloy and even at 20 Feet, they are not all that heavy or difficult to handle. Myself, along with many other Amateur Radio guys, put the full length poles to use as aerial masts, with no problem. But no matter what the length, care in handling is, of course, needed at all times. The problem with this method is the expense, as they don`t come cheap :)

I've just received an email from the lighting engineer, she'll come for a visit on Monday to have a look at the streetlight and discuss a solution. So fingers crossed!!

Good stuff,

Make sure you show her your plans to help mitigate it yourself with your screen. She will at least see how serious you are and that its a big deal to you.

Keep us updated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not true some weed suppressing membrane - it is very light and black.

You could easily attach it to two (or more) long bamboo canes.

This would be portable, light and easy to store when not in use.

Just think of an over large wind break.

If you are thinking of stringing a cable across and hanging a sheet then look into catenary wire and attachments.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/Accessories/Catenary+Wire+30m/d190/sd2620/p89792

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-rope/7388694/

Lee

Why not true some weed suppressing membrane - it is very light and black.

You could easily attach it to two (or more) long bamboo canes.

This would be portable, light and easy to store when not in use.

Just think of an over large wind break.

If you are thinking of stringing a cable across and hanging a sheet then look into catenary wire and attachments.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/Accessories/Catenary+Wire+30m/d190/sd2620/p89792

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wire-rope/7388694/

Lee

Yep, these wires are exactly what I need. Cheers!

Working on the basis that the closer you put a screen to your observing position, the smaller it needs to be, I invested in a black clip on parasol (meant to be used on prams & pushchairs), from the baby department at Boots.  I clip this onto my finder bracket. You can just about see it in the photo.  If I'm imaging I remove it once I'm setup to stop the wind blowing my scope around.  I have also mounted it on a photo tripod on occasions.

9223352070_c4c3af0f4a.jpg
My imaging setup by porkyb, on Flickr

I have 13 street lights to contend with, so there is no way I could screen them by other means.

Archived