Noob Alert!

B4VVY

Hi, I actually joined a few days ago but haven't introduced myself (how rude of me!). I have just bought a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p and I am new to the whole Astronomy game although I have always had an interest in the planets surrounding us, I even made an Orrery a few years ago! I'm from Leicester in England and as I am a newbie, please be nice :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no experience of it yet, just got my scope a few days ago and haven't had a chance to use it yet because I didn't know what I was doing so I joined this forum and got some tips now I have to wait for a clear night sky to test it out but I would like to have some images of the moon and planets once I work out how to!

Hi B4vvy,

Welcome to the lounge. You must either have done some reading up or you are very knowledgeable, because you have chosen a very capable scope, well done. There is never a bad time to buy a scope, but just after the solstice is not ideal due to short and not very dark nights. Don't worry the heavens will still be there and Autumn is coming.

Ian

Hi & Welcome to the lounge ;)

As your just starting out, think about purchasing some reference books to aid you in finding your way around the sky.

'Turn left at Orion'. Or. 'The Backyard Astronomer' are 2 great books for Newbies and experienced alike.

Also download 'Stellarium'. It's a free program, which will show you what you can see in the sky.

You have a great Scope , so enjoy your Stargazing. :)

Thanks everyone for welcoming me!

Hi B4vvy,

Welcome to the lounge. You must either have done some reading up or you are very knowledgeable, because you have chosen a very capable scope, well done. There is never a bad time to buy a scope, but just after the solstice is not ideal due to short and not very dark nights. Don't worry the heavens will still be there and Autumn is coming.

Ian

Yes I did do some reading about different types of scopes. I was going to go for a Reflector but when I "Googled" it came up somewhere (maybe this forum!) that you get more bang for your buck with a Dobsonian which is why I chose this one! 

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you joined us and hope that you enjoy your time here. Sounds like you have a great scope that will keep you going for many years :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Archived