Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does your wife appreciate your star gazing?

Tim

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most the time Kate's fine about it - even helps me on my way by getting the dinner ready earlier and absolving me of getting the kids to bed responsibility (although I still do it as I suspect the price to pay would be too high). She even usually goes easy on me the next morning if I haven't got back until 4/5am. She's even letting me do Kelling Spring & Autumn, Kielder (Autumn), SGL 4, SGL 4.5 if there is one.

Before everyone thinks I've landed on my feet in some style she has a habit of wanting to arrange social events for the one clear moonfree night of the month and woe betide me if I show anything other than great enthusiasm for it.

I've no doubt however that every time I go out I'm running up a balance that I'll have to repay one day. :?

James

As I've always had hobbies (Amateur Radio, Scuba Diving, Sailing Dinghy Racing, Fishing, golf, Photography, computers, and now astronomy), my wife has somewhat come to accept it all. She has always called me the 'man of many hobbies'.

Like Rob, if I'm out of the way when her 'soaps' are on, and my goodness there's enough of them, then she probably doesn't even notice that I'm out in the obs. At least until I call her on the intercom, to make a 'cuppa'. :D

I suppose, the fact that we are still married, after some 44 years, must be a positive indication of her acceptance. :D

She does actually like looking at some of my more colourful images.

Dave

yes/no/maybe,

she always says" i`m glad your hobbies are at night- fishing, astronomy, so that you spend the days with me and the kids when you`re not working", but was none too happy dinner wasn`t cooked and the kids only half ready for bed the other night when the ISS flew over house.

My wife does not get "excited" about it, but on the other hand, so does not discourage it.

She actually got very excited at a view of Saturn last year, which was good.

I think generally toleration is the best word. At least star gazing is a lot less intrusive for her than my guitar hobby :D

I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm no slave to my wife, or anyone for that matter, my pursuits are my business and pastimes and as long as they're legal and not infiringing on anyone else what's to dislike??

I don't believe in this SWMBO crappola.

But yes, to asnwer the OP she enjoys it when i;m enjoying myself ( and not maoning about the damn :D + :D ), and eeven comes out occassionally to have a gander. She really enjoys astro pics tho.Who can't be entranced by them.

So yes i guess im lucky, i don't have any complaints from here usually and she lets me do my thing in peace n quiet.

My Mrs is quite happy to let me get on with it she does get a little concerned on some of the costs that are incurred in my astronomy habit at times I don't tell her the full costs of some of the gear I buy so as not to alarm her besides I never moan just how many more shoes she gets per year so it works well really :D

I was very lucky - I met my wonderful wife Helen at my astronomy club in 2001. Her interest is pre telescope astronomy and astro archaeology. Before I met her my 10inch dobbie lived in the lounge next to the patio doors ready for use - it stayed there when she moved in too.

Faint fuzzies don't interest her, but the grazing occulation of Saturn last year or comets like Holmes will get her to the EP.

If you don't have many (or any) women in your club encourage them to visit - if you can get one or two to stay more will feel comforable to join too.

Posted after a great night tonight galaxy chasing in Leo, Virgo and Coma Berenices - yes the other half is in bed.

Scotastro

Mrs Paxo, on the whole, lets me get on with it. There's always plenty for her to do while I'm out stargazing like washing, ironing, cleaning.......... Joking aside (before the pc police/moderators call), Mrs Paxo hates the cold (which is a complete opposite to me), but will venture out for special occasions like comet Holmes and the saturn occultation. Mrs Paxo even comes for the last couple of days of the starparties (even though I think she dislikes camping these days), doesn't moan regarding a conservatory full of telescopes (too me anyway), building site where the obsy is being started, and is having the obsy pier fabricated for me. I think that comes in the support beyond the call of duty :D

Mrs Paxo loves this forum and often comments on threads before I've even had the chance to read them myself, often reads the many astronomy magazines which come through the door. I think deep down, we all have the support of our wives/husbands/partners to be able to carry out this fascinating hobby/lifestyle of ours whether we are prepared to admit it or not.

Mrs Daz has a growing interest - she will occasionally come out and look at the moon, or Saturn. She appreciates that I'm only in the back garden (or at least somewhere nearby!).

But she does like the social aspect of the Star Parties. She's not the shy and retiring type and will muck in and do (more than, on many occasions) her fair share!

She gets rewarded with dinner's out, weekend's away, new iron and ironing board cover, etc. etc :D

The other half has no interest in the hobby (she might have the odd look at the moon etc and give me a half-hearted 'that's nice' but that's about it!).

She doesn't mind me being out and about at all hours but the only real interest she shows is when she 'want's me to clear up my astronomy gear from the front room NOW!' (after she's tripped over it for the 5th time that night! :D). It's like being a kid again.....tidy your room NOW!

So far, I've largely been left to it, and as long as it's not the be all and end all, and I pay attention to her and the kids from time to time, the status quo will be maintained. The cost of gear could well become an interesting talking point between us in the coming months mind you :D. Equally, to hear her talk on the phone to her friends when she mentions that she's got rid of me out into the garden again, I think she quite likes getting the telly all to herself. She has ventured outside once to look at Saturn.

My wife doesn't mind as long as it doesn't take over my life (which is has at times). At the moment she's worried i'm giving up the hobby. So i get lots of encouragement to go out but i have very little interest in doing so. Rather sit in and watch CSI or Grand Design.

She's less keen on me vanishing all night these days. So no dark sky excursions.

I just need to get myself motivated somehow. I've lost my sparkle :D

Russ

TJ, your blog stories crack me up :D

You and me both - laugh out loud funny!

My wife has no interest at all... Jamie on the other hand is very interested.

Jane is slowly realising that it is an advantage for me to have a hobby that is conducted mainly in the garden.

Jane did enjoy the start party, so thats good!

Ant

My wife and I are that rare pair that share our hobbies - or is it passions? We each have our own scopes and compare notes as we go along. Our eyesight is slightly different so my focus is not hers and vice-versa. I tend to let her get on with it but if I see something is due to happen then we normally both end up focused on it comparing notes.

In the day with the sun there is just one object so we have a scope each and as the set up is fast whoever gets there first sets up both scopes and loads an eyepiece in each. As we use the same eyepieces day on day the scope will be in focus and it is just a matter of putting on a long browed cap (a baseball one is idea) and then follows a fast interchange of what can be seen using the clock code. All this takes a couple of minutes and as the sun varies so much - on one day this week there were 10 flares (including one magnificent multi bit (that is recorded on the http://astrosurf.com/obsolar/grupos/2008/profebrero02.html site as we found next day). On that next day nothing.

At night observing is a different ball game. Our scopes are different while we go round like demented cybermen with our red light headbands over woolly hats. All this changes when we go video and both want to look at the screen so there is just one scope - but doing that we keep the lights on outside as it doesn't bother the camera.

All in all joint observing works for us but obviously we are weird compared to most of thee out thar. And the nicest part is we freeze together and can thaw out after over a nice bun and cup of cocoa.

My wife is in for a penny, in for a pound. I set up the scope, she reads the coordinates of the next target. I find the object, she logs the notes. then, she takes a look. Rosie is the first woman to observe all 110 Messier objects in one night. She loves clusters, but isn't crazy about the Moon. She'll join me in the rolloff, but isn't too keen on the dome. (Or in it.) Just this week, she encouraged me to skip our annual star party to do an educational weekend with several girl scout troups! (144 girl scouts in 9 talks over two days.)

Rosie sees things on the Sun I miss the first time on a regular basis. There's nothing she enjoys more than showing the Sun to strangers. Being bilingual, it helps a great deal in public in Arizona. She has her own solar scope and a 6" F/9.5 Dob for the public. While she doesn't set them up just for herself, she'll gladly pitch in if I'm doing public outreach.

She's a jewel.

Archived