Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does your wife appreciate your star gazing?

Tim

My Mrs knows I enjoy astronomy very much, but doesn't appreciate the fact that I need more gear to do the job properly!! Originally she wondered what or the fuss is about looking at 'clouds of dust', but recently shes said she would like to watch my planets dvd on our 7' projector as the last time I was watching it she pretended to read but was secretly enjoying the documentary. Thats a start.....

Rob.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a wife but I do have a hubby!!

He's a real sweetie, brings me out hot drinks, soup etc. Has a passing interest, if I get something good I run in the door like a lunatic calling him to come and have a peep and he patiently comes out, does all the right noises and then disappears into the warm again.

He then comes out a bit later to remind me that I have to get up for work in the morning and he'll have no chance of getting me out of the pit if I don't pack up soon.

I forgive him for that as he helps me break it down.

As you can probably tell I'm relatively new to this and get excited very easily.

No problems here...Sara happily tolerates my hobbies, and positively encourages most things. Mind you like KK I lie perpetually about the cost of things.......10 grand on my reef tank.....about the same kitting out my workshop, my astronomy and photography interests are cheap in comparison.

The trick is time management and the fact that my sons both take part in my hobbies. My youngest loves photography and is happy to assist in the workshop, and my eldest enjoys Astronomy and has his own reef tank......so every ones happy, the lads are learning and not just playing on the xbox. Oh and cooking, cleaning and being nice to her neurotic friends also helps.

JV :D (master of the vanishing credit card statement.)

She gets rewarded with dinner's out, weekend's away, new iron and ironing board cover, etc. etc

I got Annette a new Tefal Ultra Gluide iron as a pressy once..I've still got the scar :D

Nettie will have a look through the ep every now and again..She was most interested in the lunar eclipse last year..And keeps me motivated regarding my Degree...She's forever buying me the books :laugh:

I have dragged her out of bed at stoopid o'clock to look at saturn.. :D

She also enjoys the Starparty's ....If I remember there was a lot of giggling coming from Kai herbs trailer tent at the Welsh sp last year...And a lot of wine was drunk :lol:

Mrs LB doesn't mind so much as long as I help with the kids and lets face it the cloudness night are few and far between. She'll even venture out to look at Saturn and the moon - doesn't like the cold though. Anyway I have had to put up with the squillions of dineros spent on horses over the years so it's pay back time now.

Mrs Nova is very good :D she will help me carry all the gear outside and back, she had a look at Saturn about 10 times and allways said 'very nice' every time just to keep me happy I did not know she could not see a thing untill she spotted it then shouted B*~#¬Y HELL I CAN SEE IT :hello1:

Elaine cant complain because I have footed the bill on her passion.

She collects antique dolls and bears.

£6800 worth at the last count :shock:

Bernie.

My other half gets miffed if I spend money on me and not 'something for the house' so the scope went down like a lead balloon. However she can like it or lump it. She insists on calling it a 'blumming periscope'..................I envy those of you who have wives who take an interest.

With the seeing so good last night, I begged with Ju's to come out and see what she was missing, she could even watch it all on the laptop.

Sure enough, she got all togged up, walked outside, shut the door, said, "Im bored now, and cold." and went in. Didnt even look at anything........

ho hum

TJ

My other half gets miffed if I spend money on me and not 'something for the house' so the scope went down like a lead balloon. However she can like it or lump it. She insists on calling it a 'blumming periscope'..................I envy those of you who have wives who take an interest.

I often hear about looking through the scope instead of doing work about the house, but I don't admit to my purchases or discuss them with her. When she notices something new, she doesn't ask how much it costs, partly because I could price it out in numbers of Bingo nights. She wasn't too happy when I built myself a new tripod for teh scope, either. She came out to see the comet last fall, but wouldn't believe it was in focus. She has been impressed with Saturn and Jupiter to some extent.

I'm not interested in Bingo, much.

My good lady has on the whole supported me in my astronomy. She suffered badly in my early mirror making period, when optical pitch chippings had a habit of parking themselves on the pillow through the night, or getting into the washing machine, and thereby contaminating all the washing. Those times were fraught, with the fragrance of extreme animosity quite rife. When eventually she deigned to place her eye to the eyepiece, and gaze at heavens showpiece, the irresistible Saturn, it invoked a change in her demeanour.

Now, she readily relates to anyone visiting our home, the wonder of both Saturn and the Moon, the two objects that had the most tranquilizing effect on her. My present dilemma, is trying to appease her, when she questions the amount of money I have spent, gathering all the equipment together, in order to produce Oscar winning pictures of the goodies that pervade the heavens.

"When am I going to see some results from all this expenditure", she bleats, "soon dear I say". If it all goes pear shaped, I may have to plead with you guys to loan me some of yours to get me out of big trouble. :Lil:

We'll see how it pans out.

Ron.

My good lady has on the whole supported me in my astronomy. She suffered badly in my early mirror making period, when optical pitch chippings had a habit of parking themselves on the pillow through the night, or getting into the washing machine, and thereby contaminating all the washing. Those times were fraught, with the fragrance of extreme animosity quite rife. When eventually she deigned to place her eye to the eyepiece, and gaze at heavens showpiece, the irresistible Saturn, it invoked a change in her demeanour.

Now, she readily relates to anyone visiting our home, the wonder of both Saturn and the Moon, the two objects that had the most tranquilizing effect on her. My present dilemma, is trying to appease her, when she questions the amount of money I have spent, gathering all the equipment together, in order to produce Oscar winning pictures of the goodies that pervade the heavens.

"When am I going to see some results from all this expenditure", she bleats, "soon dear I say". If it all goes pear shaped, I may have to plead with you guys to loan me some of yours to get me out of big trouble. :Lil:

We'll see how it pans out.

Ron.

:D :D :lol:

My wife has been very supportive in my hobby even to the point of helping me lug my 10" SCT and tripod back into the house negotiating a narrow patio door entrance at silly hours of the morning. She is also quite intrested in reading about the subject and does pop out to have a look now and again but does not like the cold. This is one star that I will always keep in my sights as long as I live. :D

Regards

Kevin

Reading all these posts has just reinforced that feeling I had that I'm pretty blo*dy lucky in regards to having such a supportive wife. I think I need to buy her a pressie for this, do you think she'd like a scope? :D

James

Reading all these posts has just reinforced that feeling I had that I'm pretty blo*dy lucky in regards to having such a supportive wife. I think I need to buy her a pressie for this, do you think she'd like a scope? :D

James

Oh, come on! At least get her a Nagler! :D

I have to change my comment above as for my birthday my wife got me three great books on astronomy:

2008 yearbook of astronomy

Atlas of the Universe

Guide to the Night Sky

and Sir Patrick Moores autobiography

good lady!

She humours me, she can't ever really see owt in the EP (spectacle wearer) and occasionally comes out with "oh yeah, that's nice, but it's not very clear darling". whilst doubtlessly thinking, why on earth would anyone want to spend their evenings outside when it's so cold it would pop the balls out of a brass monkey(naval term).

At least she knows where I am (not in the pub or up to no good). Gawd help me if she ever cottons on to how much cash I've parted with :shock:

or plan to :D

Karlo

Of all my hobbies, amateur astronomy is the only one that keeps me out of A+E, so the wife approves! Plus it keeps me out of the pub in the evening, which with my first nipper due soon, is a bonus.

But when she buys yet another pair of shoes, she has always got the arguement of "look how much you spend on your toys"! Oh well!

Archived