Hello from Littleborough! (Near Rochdale)

Phall82

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went outside last night with my dad's binoculars (just standard 8x42, but good quality) and I was amazed at the number of stars out there that you can't see with the naked eye but become visible even with a pair of normal magnification binoculars.

Also, even off that experience, I think I've caught the bug for it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Phall82! Your definitely in the right place to get those all important questions answered. I'm a newbie to SGL too and every question I have asked so far has been answered very quickly and been very helpful!

Clear skies!

Shep  

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I'm looking forward to get stuck in but I want to make sure I make the right choices first.

Richard, the Fishermans (as was) is one of our favourite places for a chilled out drink (now The Wine Press).

I knew I should have bought it. It was only £50k when I was looking at it......!

When I come over to visit my sister at The Mop Shop I'll check out the old pub. (The Wine Press indeed!)

Well, I've taken the plunge (in the shallow end to start with) by buying a used skywatcher 130M with equatorial mount. Bought it off eBay but the seller is a member on here as well.

Looking forward to getting started and learning the basics. I thought getting a used scope with EQ mount to start with would be a better way to learn than spending loads and not having a clue what I'm doing.

If I love it, I can always upgrade and use a better scope in the future when I'm more capable.

Where are the clear skies!?!? :-)

Hi Colin.

A very warm welcome to you.  The observatory at Todmorden,  that a previous member mentioned, is The Astronomy Centre (TAC) on the Todmorden/Bacup road run by Peter Drew,  Open every Saturday from 7.30pm if you want to pop along, you'll get a warm welcome and hopefully find it very useful - lot's of different scopes of all shapes and sizes to try out.  Not that I'm being pushy, but this Saturday looks like there may be some clear skies early on.  No-one will mind if you turn up a little early so you can have the tour in daylight.  Hope to see you there.

Regards, Paul

PS  If you google The Astronomy Centre Todmorden, there is a good location map and other details.

welcome colin pretty much a newbie myself but already gaining plenty of info from all the members a very friendly bunch with a wide variety of knowledge i'm abit lower than keith i'm in Shaw 

Hi Colin,

My place of birth was Rochdale AND I grew up at Hollingworth Lake, lived there until 22; parents still do.

My usual 'gazing place is Blackstone Edge still, as my Dad joins me.

New on here myself, great to hear of some local interest.

Chris

Archived