NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC417 - The Spider - in mono

swag72

IC417 /  Sh2-234 or the Spider nebula, seems to be rarely imaged on it/s own. It's usually part of a wider field mosaic with the Flaming Star and Tadpoles. When I saw this in my wide field mosaic and got the C9.25 I just knew that this needed to be a target. There's quite a bit of interesting stuff going on here, not sure why it gets over looked so often.

I am currently working on a bi colour version of this, in that I am starting to collect the data! I welcome all comments on this.

Details

M: Avalon LInear Fast Reverse

T: Celestron C9.25 0.63x

C: Atik 460EXM with 3nm Ha filter

32x1800s 2xbin - Total integration time 16 hours.

post-5681-0-87179100-1393185815_thumb.jp

There's a larger version available here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ic417_mono.jpg if you are interested

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for your comments. I'm not sure if the centre is over cooked and too bright (there's certainly no clipped highlights!) as there's very little on the net for comparison purposes, certainly in mono.

I am slowly capturing the SII for the bi colour image and there will most certainly not be a mosaic :grin:

Wonderful image Sarah, another first introduction to this object for me!   16hrs of 30 minute exposures is getting very keen, possibly bordering on obsessive - you'd certainly need to martyr yourself to collect this under UK skies (at any time) :)

Thanks very much all for looking.

@Martin - I chanced upon this one during my Widefield mosaic of the area and decided that with the C9.25 I'd like to come back to that target in particular.

@Steve - There's no mosaics on this one, I can assure you!!! :grin: I'm not even remotely tempted!!!

Hi Sarah, what a lovely image, I am very happy that the C9.25 is performing so well and offering up a whole new range of targets.

I was very interested to read in other posts that you haven't found imaging with the big Celestron too much of a nightmare , this has now given me some hope that in the future when I have sufficient experience (and more funds) that I can turn my C11 towards some type of AP.

Paul

Thanks Martyn and Paul.

@Paul - I have been surprised at how relatively pain free the move to the SCT was, even though it involved an OAG, which I'd never previously used. I am really enjoying this scope and I'm sure that a C11 would be equally as good and pain free!!

Hi Sarah, what a lovely image, I am very happy that the C9.25 is performing so well and offering up a whole new range of targets.

I was very interested to read in other posts that you haven't found imaging with the big Celestron too much of a nightmare , this has now given me some hope that in the future when I have sufficient experience (and more funds) that I can turn my C11 towards some type of AP.

Paul

In fairness, aside from her obvious skill, Sara has a very nice mount to sit that C9.25 on.  The C11 is longer focal length again, and heavier... but it can be done!

Archived