Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've bought a big Dob...

I have succumbed to aperture fever and bought a 14" Skyliner Flextube courtesy of the SGL classifieds.

I wanted something that showed a significant increase in size from my 9.25" SCT and this seems to fit the bill. Having seen the 16" scopes at Astrofest I thought they were just too big so settled my ambitions on 14" ....and then the ad popped up!

I can't wait for first light - maybe this evening? Reports to follow.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

congrats on the new scope . the more I see the those 12 and 14" dobs the more I realise they are just too big .

not for me you understand, the mrs , she blow a gasket :embarassed:

Rory

My wife is very understanding and takes it all in her stride - she's a treasure really!

She knows it's what I love and it keeps me out of her hair!

kerry 

Neat scope, I think 14" is an optimum size for us pensioners !

Nick.

Time will tell! I have a little trolley, which you can see in the pic, which I bought in B&Q for my various gardening projects. I'm thinking that it can probably stay on that and I'll just trundle it in and out of the garage - stays cool too.

Kerry

Rory

My wife is very understanding and takes it all in her stride - she's a treasure really!

kerry 

Hi Kerry, maybe she just want's you out of the house ?   :grin:

Seriously, hope you get first light very soon.  It's blue skies at the mo here in SE Essex.

Regards, Ed.

good choice and on that sack truck moving will be a breeze...I really don't know why everyone hasn't got a dob...AP guys I understand but if your just visual GET ONE! congrats...

I know - before I joined this forum I was sure that a Dob was not for me - for various reasons. But having read all the comments here I realise what a cost effective and convenient way it is to see more. Once I'd convinced myself that I could store it and move it, it was go!

Laurie - yes I'll be out waiting for Jupiter to appear

Kerry

Well done on your purchase Kerry. I think the 14" Dob is a great scope and you will enjoy viewing all those DSOs. If it stays clear have a look for the supernova that will be a great opening start to the new scope.

Look forward to your first report. I will also be interested in the comparison between the Dob and the 9.25 SCT on Jupiter.

hi kerry good choice in size still portable and still sucks in lots of photons, you have upgraded from what i had just before christmas your going to be amazed especialy when you look at jup at around 400x or more. look foward to your report

Great !

My wife too :)

She is telling me to get something lke this and not the Nexstar 8 that I was toying with getting !

watching with interest , , ,

Archived