NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from the West Midlands

brettg40

Hello folks, 

I'm Brett from Wolverhampton, i'd thought i'd say hi as i have already used this forum for plenty of information and advice. My wonderful girlfriend bought me my first scope for christmas, i was very overwhelmed by it all, even though she bullied me to find out which scope i wanted. It's a skywatcher 200p dob. I had a cheeky browse in the skies tonight, seeing everything for the first time and with the assistance from 'Turn left at Orion' I gazed upon Jupiter which looked awesome, i also looked at Orion's nebula, i managed to find the M81 and M82 galaxys and a faint Andromeda. The sky hasn't been great this evening in Wolverhampton but i was determined to get out there  :smiley: . Its surprisingly difficult to locate certain things, but at the same time so enjoyable. I'm looking forward to learning more and getting involved within this community.

Another thing to add, are there any other chaps from the midlands who know the best spots for viewing?

Nice one,

Brett.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brett welcome to the lounge,

your girlfriend must be wonderful, a 200p Dob for Christmas, 

lucky you, glad you enjoyed your first light, the weather hasn't

been very kind to us, but it can only improve.  Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi, Brett, and welcome to SGL! If you haven't done already I can recommend downloading the free planetarium software 'Stellarium'. this is used by many on here as a guide to finding objects in the night sky and for planning a viewing session. the programme is customisable for local area and sky conditions (light pollution etc) and even for individual scopes - giving an idea of what you will be able to see through the eye piece. Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/.

Hope that helps, and congrats on the new scope,

Martin.

Thank you for the warm welcome everybody! The standard eyepieces i received with the scope were a 10mm and a super 25mm, so last night i spent a good few hours looking at everybodies advice and opinions on high power eye pieces, 5mm or 6mm or wether to just get a good 2x barlow. I consequently bought a 5mm TMB planetary type II eye piece which i cannot wait to arrive! Oh, i also bought a UHC filter as i read in several places that these are more of an all rounder in comparison to an O-III...

Hi Brett, welcome the the SGL mate, we had a site near Cosford, but sadly it fell through, enjoy that scope mate its a very nice pressie for you and well done on the first few objects through these light polluted Midland Skies all the best mate and regards from the depths of the Black Country.   Paul

Archived