Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead in H-alpha

pietervdv

Hello all,

Here is my latest image I would like to share, the Horsehead nebula in Orion. Last week I had 2 clear nights

in a row which is very unusual down here.  There is a huge tree south from my location so I

had to interrupt the imaging session for 2 hours in the middle of each run.

Hopefully I can add some more data to it soon...

Scope: 10" Newtonian f/3.8

Mount: Mesu 200

ccd: sbig st-8300  -20°C

exposure: 6.5 hrs through 7nm Baader h-alpha filter

horsehead_thumbb.jpg

Med size resolution:

http://www.astronomie.be/pieter.vandevelde/deepsky/horsehead_small.jpg

Higher resolution can be found here:

http://www.astronomie.be/pieter.vandevelde/deepsky/horsehead.jpg

Thanks for checking it out & clear skies!

Regards,

Pieter

Hi Pieter. Sorry, I missed this one and, yes, it's a winner. Lots of detail in the cheval and structure in the curtains behind. Nice resolution in the double above the head as well.

Have a good Christmas,

Olly

Thanks, same to you!

Hi, as a complete beginner, is there's reason that the image is in black and white and not colour like others nebula photos I have seen on the internet ?

Mark.

Mark,

The reason for this is the ccd is monochrome. Most astro ccd are monochrome and colour is gathered by exposing though RGB filters.

Imaging in RGB is hopeless from my light polluted sky, so that's why I image with an h-alpha filter which has a very narrow bandpass in the

spectrum and is not affected much by LP. For good RGB data you need good skies, which I don't have unfortunately.

regards,

Pieter

Archived