Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

California from Kielder.

davew

Hi all,

Back from one of the best Kielder weeks I can remember, and I've been to them all. Of the 6 nights I was there I managed to image on 5 of them for a least a few hours. Bliss. I decided to have a go at the Californian Nebula with 30 minutes subs all round. A bit if a response to Sara ( Swag72 ) attempting to steal all the photons from Spain :)

The first night I got 13 x 30 minutes of Ha. That felt like a long time as I started with NGC1499 just on the tree line and continued well past meridian. Nights 2, 3 and 4 had a touch of milkyness at times and a few very small blobs of cloud passing so stopped imaging to let them through. These were all the OIII subs. I got 11 but had to throw one out.

The framing, as you can see, should have been with the camera at 90*. Unfortunately it's bolted hard down and can't be easily moved. Ah well. A little is cropped off the bottom just for visual balance.

Moravian G2 8300, Astrodon 5nm Ha and OIII, 250mm f4 camera lens at f4, DMK guider, EM200 mount. MaximDL, PS, Registar. 21 flats, 50 bias and no darks.

I've looked around at a few Californian images and think I've got more Ha then normal but less OIII ! Maybe I didn't stretch it as much as some.

I've looked at it enough now so will post before I mess it up by over doing things,

Dave.

post-493-0-54210000-1383824675_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superb Dave, really great capture, but you earned it. Lots of deep detail & good processing!

I bet you had to be thawed out every night!

Fay

Funny you should say that. One imager who left their DSLR switched off for a while, came back to it and it had turned white. The hinged screen was covered in ice !

Thanks Fay,

Dave.

John, Mark and Richard,

We were rather like fathers pacing up and down outside the maternity ward. Four days of waiting to see the results !

Thanks for keeping me company in the early hours :)

Dave.

I like this a lot Dave - It's a very deep image and a most pleasing framing. I'm interested to see that your OIII takes on a 'greyish' colour as generally we see the OIII as quite blue. This just needs a little SII now!!! Any chances?!! I like the colour of it as well, very nice indeed.

Thanks for hovering up my photons, I think I can safely say that while you were capturing this, I was clouded out - Doesn't always work the other way, sadly!

Thanks Rob and Sara,

Other than stuff like the Crescent or the Veil, I'm not known for my blues :) I think steel blue would be closer or maybe cigarette smoke blue. I feel more people prefer bright blue. If you want blue look at the two bright stars lower right ! I completely over looked them when I was processing. My copy here has now been changed. The things you miss !

SII is fairly bright in places so I may have a go one day,

Dave.

Cheers Mark,

I've run this through a plate solve and it gives me RA - 04 01 01.2 and DEC +36 10 35.4. FOV 3.13* x 3.84*  The image has been slightly cropped to cover the dither overlaps and up from the bottom. UP is 0.832 East of North ( Shows my camera isn't exactly level )

This is a great candidate for a mosaic as you'll get a much better FWHM than my camera lens. You'll also pick up UGC2920 which is next to the two small bright Ha regions upper centre. It doesn't show on my Jpeg but does on the Tiff.

I've looked at your latest Ha/OIII for Thor's Helmet and you have a touch of grey in your blue OIII outer regions. I quite like the subtle rendition. We should start a club :)

Dave.

. I quite like the subtle rendition. We should start a club :)

I'm working on this at the moment Dave - a 4 pane mosaic, almost finished in Ha, yet to decide how to colourise it ............. but a subtle rendition? :eek: ......... and a club? I may try subtle on this next one, just so that I can get an invite :grin:

I'm working on this at the moment Dave - a 4 pane mosaic, almost finished in Ha, yet to decide how to colourise it ............. but a subtle rendition? :eek: ......... and a club? I may try subtle on this next one, just so that I can get an invite :grin:

I've seen the rushes on your website. Very nice and yummy so far. Hubble is never subtle and nor should it be. False RGB can be subtle if you try very very hard.

I fear the worst on your Helix mind you.

The door is always open Sara ! :cool:  ( Note the sun glasses )

Dave.

Archived