Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

Not done any deep sky imaging for over 3 years.  A few changes in personal circumstances have meant a new lease of life back into the hobby.  So here's 80 minutes worth of 10 minute unguided Ha subs using an SX H36 camera through a Tak FSQ106 mounted on a Paramount MX+.  Taken on Friday evening when I had to be up early on Saturday to get the train down to London to attend Astrofest.  Calibrated the image with some flats, bias and darks taken on Sunday Morning.

Minimal processing (trying to remember how to use Pixinsight) so stacked in DSS, some basic stretching in PS.  I'm happy I'm back in the saddle again.  I think I'll try and add some more data to this one before the winters out.

5a81cee8646f7_NGC1499copy.thumb.jpg.13253def67916a15c5e044e1e4a94255.jpg

Thanks for looking

Steve

• Like 7

On 12/02/2018 at 19:02, Demonperformer said:

That is very atmospheric.

That's why I like the monochrome image.......that and too much light pollution for RGB.

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gorann
      Friends,
      this is Ha data from the last few clear nights collected with my Canon 300 mm f/4 (ca 20 x 10 min ISO 1600) and 5" refractor (ca 16 x 20 min) sitting side by side, to which I added RGB data from the Canon lens collected in December (76 x 3 min). I also post the 5" refractor image as it is quite detailed. All with my trusted Canon 60D cameras (60Da on the refractor) on my EQ8. Further details can be found on my Astrobin.
      C & S most welcome of course!
      Cheers
      Göran

• By gorann
      Just got a nice surprise!
      In the plate solving that is automatically done when images are uploaded to Astrobin, I just noticed that in one of my California Nebula images (from 21 Dec 2017), there was also something identified as IC2005. Looking it up it turns out to be a galaxy that is apparently bright enough to shine through the red nebulosity.
      So, here it is, lurking in the right end of the image (arrow). I also post a crop of the galaxy area (with IC2005 in the centre). I do not know anything about it - wonder if anyone does?
      The image was taken with my ES 127ED refractor (@ FL 752mm) and a Canon 60Da. 18 x 8 min (so 2.4 hours) at ISO1600. Processed in PS.

• By gorann
      This is a two panel mosaic (with central overlap) that has been waiting to get processed - for some reason my first attempt to process it reached a dead end where I was rather disappointed with the results and gave up. But with clouds and moon conspiring I have made a new attempt from scratch. Taken with my Canon 300 mm f/4 (@f/4) on my triple rig on the same night as the previously posted Samyang 135 and ES 127ED images, so 21 Dec 2017. Like my Samyang mosaic, this is an accidental mosaic created by a shift in framing after the meridian flip, resulting in a somewhat unusual framing. Stacked in PI and processed in PS. 76x3min @ ISO1600.
      Here is my previous post with the little Samyang and 5" refractor:
      Comments & suggestions most welcome
      Cheers
      Göran

• By gorann
      This is an accidental mosaic since the framing of the Samyang moved after the meridian flip at midnight (it was sitting on my triple rig and I only adjusted the framing for the large refractor after the flip). I think it was a fortunate move since it allowed me to catch a lot of dark nebulosity above and to the left of NGC 1499 and a cute little nebula called NGC1579. Taken from my garden obsy on the Swedish countryside in Värmland  on 21 Dec 2017. Temperature was ca -4°C and SQM 20.9.
      Camera: Canon EOS 60D (unmodded) at ISO1600.
      Lens: Samyang 135mm f/2 (@f/2)
      Mount: SW EQ8
      Guiding: SW ST80 + QHY5LIIM + PHD2
      Exposures: 192 x 1min = 3.2 hours
      (No flats, bias or darks but this is taken with an APS-C sensor on a lens intended for full frame DSLRs so no vignetting that Gradient Exterminator could not easily handle and the outside temperature of -4°C  kept the noise very low)
      Filters: None
      Stacked: PI
      Processed: PS CS5
      Cheers, Göran

• By gorann
      On Thursday night I had my third session with the triple rig: a Samyang 135mm f/2, a Canon 300mm f/4 and an ES 5" apo (@ 750 mm FL f/5.9), each equipped with a Canon 60D set at ISO1600 (60Da on the 5" refractor). Temperature was around -4°C, so almost no noise in the DSLRs, but about half of the subs had to be thrown out due to clouds and after I went to bed after the meridian flip (00.30), I lost guiding at some point and for some reason my laptop had shut down when I woke up at 7. In any case, I got a fair amount of data with the Samyang (192 x 1 min = 3.2 hours at f/2). I only got 18 x 8 min of usable frames with the 5" refractor, but the subs were rather good. The canon 300 mm was possibly poorly focused. In any case it did not produce results that I like to post.
      So here are results of the 135 mm wide field and 752 mm close up.
      I used the refractor for framing after the flip but the 135 mm had for some reason moved a bit allowing me to make a mosaic (with the central part of the image with data from both before and after the flip). That accidental move brought in quite a bit of dark nebulosity and a little nebula called The Northern Trifid Nebula (NGC1579).
      I am quite unsure about what shade of red to use on the California. I see everything from bright orange to magenta on the web. I have gone for something in between. Yes, I know, I should add some Ha to this object....
      Comments and suggestions most welcome!
      Cheers
      Göran

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.