SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC2005 - a galaxy lurking behind the California Nebula

gorann

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I suppose that when you know nearly every one you find has never been noticed by a human before it helps!

Plus you must get treated to some pretty decent views of things.

Well, yes, in 1860 I assume he (at the time it is unlikely it would be a she) could be worse off. I would just be a bit frustrated by the fact that (1) I had no idea what I was looking at and (2) I had no camera to record it with:icon_biggrin:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gorann said:

Yes I see it Wim, but it is not in the nebula so it does not count:D

Add a few dozen hours of data and you'll see the nebula extend to the galaxy. It's gas in space; who knows where it ends. :evil6:

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I suppose that when you know nearly every one you find has never been noticed by a human before it helps!

Plus you must get treated to some pretty decent views of things.

Yes, when every "fuzzy" that we are ever likely to see at the eyepiece has already been photographed on things like DSS, it does seem a bit of a futile exercise. But giving it a go just demonstrates the enormous dedication of people who did this for years on end.

Archived