NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7380 or Sh2-142 (The Wizard nebula)

swag72

This is an Ha image of NGC7380 and hopefully I am planning on getting some OIII to see if I can make some orangey concoction!! This was a little odd to process, in that the bags of nebulosity on the right I'd never come across before and so I was worried that somehow I'd added it all in during processing! I think it's safe to say that's not the case, but I am pleased to report that my imaging combo just seems to be pulling in more and more detail. I think though it has become slightly less of a wizard now!

M: Avalon linear fast reverse

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: Atik 460EXM with 3nm Ha filter

24x1800s Ha with flats and bias added.

post-5681-0-42344300-1382958196_thumb.jp

You can see a full res image here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/ngc7380_mono.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fantastic. The contrast in the dark wisps is excellent. Looking forward to the colour version! The higher resolution version

is really the way to appreciate this image (unfortunately, I often find that the regular viewer here does not do justice to the images).

E.

Thanks for looking and commenting. The nebulosity really surprised me as well. Normally the Wizard is just viewed looing out from the darkness of space, but here I wondered if I was seeing gradients etc.

@Daz - They are 30 minute subs, not 15, so there's even less left for you now!

Another absolutely stunning image, Sara.  I wonder what a full narrowband rendition will look like - can't wait to see.

As ever your images are a fantastic advert for the reducer and those 3mm Astrodon filters - maybe I'll put a filter on my Christmas list - but there is more to an image like that than the kit alone and you are producing really beautiful work.

Thanks Mark and Luis - Yes I am rather partial to some narrowband, there's loads of Sharpless targets to go yet, I'll be fine!!! I do mean to do some HaRGB instead, but I find it very difficult in comparison to bi colour! I've got 4x1800s OIII subs from last night, so it's on it's way!!

@Luis - I didn't know all of that 'stuff' was there either :smiley:

Archived