Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Winter observing

Nuno

Hi everyone

I was just wondering how are your observartion sessions when the Winter comes.

I mean.. at night it's freezing even with clear sky, so what are your limit (on temperature) to stay outside looking at the night sky :)

Cheers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wear a German army surplus tank crew's winter kit. It's basically mechanic's overalls but with an inner that seems to be made out of duvet or sleeping bag material. Very insulated. Am yet to find a winter temperature in the UK that this can't cope with.

If it's frosty then I put out the rubber backed camping carpet, lovely to stand on. Then pair of Brashers, Alpacca socks, long johns, thick cord trousers, merino wool vest, cotton shirt , buff and a down jacket. Cosy warm down to a silly minus 15 degrees.

Used the same gear to go winter beach fishing, nice.

Don't really bother with a hat , just use the jacket hood as the red torch and the glasses stuck in the hair get in the way.

Nick.

I use nearly exactly the same as Nick, best off buying all your winter gear out of season as you can get some cracking deals.

I've always suffered from getting cold feet though but once again Nicks camping mat tip solved that problem.

:)

Other than the great advice above, at dark sites I typically dress for 10ºC less than the actual temperature and if there's a breeze I'll also take this into account. Areas of particular concern are head, face and neck, waist, feet and fingers.

Been out at -12C and was actually warm, but have some good gear. Good down hooded jacket and damn good thermal layers that work.

Feet got a bit cold that time but now have 2 sets of snow boots and proper socks so that shouldn't be a problem next time.

Reckon the same kit plus boot should be OK for -15 and lower.

The advantage of astronomy is that you stand around when not wet and usually little or no wind, disadvantage is you tend to be stationary.

If you expect to be viewing at altitude and so cold go design your own from the PHD down jacket range:

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/

Should be OK for -20C or lower. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Starting at the Toubkal looks good, 800 and overfill says good for -18C.

Usually during Feb-March and possibly early April it is needed over this way, normally get a biting wind from Eastern Europe for a number of weeks.

All in one thermal outfit underneath (stop the back getting exposed and cold), and a monkey onsie on top of that (again keeps mid rift covered, and has a built in hood), clothes on top of that, jacket(s), hat, gloves, several pairs of socks. I always say better to stay warm, than trying to warm up once cold.

I find numerous thin layers works for me, and doesn't add too much bulk and allows movement.

Cups of tea also help, and there are various heated packs to keep your hands warm (single use and recyclable ones).

And if you start getting cold, start packing up then, much easier than when really cold.

James

So long as the scope is working I stay outside - as above wear warm stuff all over. The views are best in winter and I've only been beaten by the cold once when my feet just wouldn't warm up and got painful. Otherwise, the only weather that's beats me off is mist or rain. Hth :)

Last year was my first experience in astronomy and living in Quebec one could say sub zero temps are common. The worst for me was keeping fingers from becoming numb, while fiddling with E.P's and such, which is tough with mitts or gloves. The trade off is blacker skies and nicer targets , for me anyway.

Experience a few sub zero observing sessions each winter. Appropriate clothing of course and a spare layer just in case. Yet when fortunate enough to be out on a clear winters evening, often I find that I become too preoccupied to pay too much attention to the cold. Periodic hot drinks and snacks are important though.

A really good pair of boots is priority for me, if you don't have them it rises up your body and you'll be cold no matter what you have on the rest of you.

One of them there snoody things for your neck can be handy..Other than that what everyone else is saying..

This is my first year observing so I haven't experienced winter skywatching yet but one thing I will be wearing my golf base top.

Been on a golf course first thing in the morning at -5 degrees with that on and a jumper and it kept me nice and warm.

When winters done, get yourself down to one of those out of town MacArthur Glen shopping centres and theres often a Ski/Outdoor place there.  Buy ski trousers, jacket, snow boots and balaclava all in for £50 when they are clearing stock.

For now, as many layers as possible.  Get some thermal underwear, from M&S.  The layer closest your skin is critical.

My winter clothing for keeping warm including underwear are:-

1x T-shirt

1x sweatshirt

1x woolen jumper or cardigan

1x jogging bottoms

1x jeans

1x pair of thick socks

1x pair of mittens with removable tops

1x pair walking shoes or boot

1x sheepskin flying jacket or a jacket my father bought me when he went to see the norhern lights a few years ago

1x 'genuine' Russian black fur hat (c/w red star emblem)

...and if away from home, (very rare), a flask of Bovril/Cup a Soup and savory snack/nibbles

or a flask of black coffee and Jaffa Cakes.

You'll probably find what your 'weakness' is. My feet tend to get cold so I picked up some nice fleecy snow boots at the end of last season.

Also don't feel it's an endurance competition. If you start feeling cold / tired / seen enough then pack up. I know sometimes when it feels like it's been cloudy for weeks you feel you should make the most of it. But there will be other nights. There's not much point if you're not enjoying it. :smiley:

Yes, my weakness was my lower back, hence various items which span the region now so now cold gets in. Boots with thick rubber soles and plenty of socks help to prevent my feet becoming the weakness. But yes, time to go in when you start thinking more about the cold than the pleasure of what you are doing.

Oooh, one other recommendation. Don't wear a cotton T-shirt as your 'base' layer.

Get a proper wicking base layer T-shirt (doesn't have to be expensive). An even slightly sweaty cotton T will chill you down nicely.

Just Googled and found one just over a fiver. Well worth it.

Archived