Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Winter observing

Nuno

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in from observing,a great night as the clouds are keeping away for a few days.Thing is I didn't expect -12'c tonight already,but the views were fantastic.My snowmobile jacket worked as always,my jeans no....should have worn my bibs.I have to figure out everything for those crystal clear -30' nights.Frost on everything tonight,Rigel power switch very stiff,Ethos fogging up.....etc

As im used to the good old northumbrian winter now shorts and t shirt ;)

No kidding :D just the usual warm clothing , altho when its really clear i tend to get over excited and then forget something usually a hat or gloves .

IMO a hot drink just goes straight through you at -5 :D

Also don't feel it's an endurance competition. If you start feeling cold / tired / seen enough then pack up.

Very true.  When you have had enough then pack away.  No point in standing out cold and miserable just for the sake of being out.

I'd also suggest a flask of something hot. Or possibly a hip-flask. And this winter I'll be experimenting with a zippo hand warmer too.

Other than that - a good down jacket is just about the best thing I've used for astronomy...

I must get more sensible when observing at home. I have been known to be out in the snow wearing t shirt, shorts and crocs :-).

Stu

Yeow, better man than me Stu, I'm like the Michelin man without the snow!!

Barry

I suppose i'm kind of blessed. I dont feel the cold from my waist down, but that can be dangerous. From the waist up............i have layers of muscle and a bit of blubber so i naturally never feel the cold.

I hate layers of clothing...........i over heat. In -11C i have been out in jeans and a t-shirt and a hooded top and a snoody.

Even then i am too damn warm.

Swedeman, do you not get stuff from MEC ?

When I visit Canada they are always one of the places I drop into, their T1, T2 and T3 base layers are excellent.

Last time in Canada I was sent to the immigration area for an "informal" check. Seems one of the problems was the very few items I had arrived with, almost nothing just one lightweight Berghaus jacket. Pointed out that a first stop was West Broadway and I described how to get to the MEC store. Explained it was a good way to travel light and buy a couple of bits on arrival.

+1 for ski trousers (buy 'em cheap in Spring after skiing season). Like a little sleeping bag for each leg. Get the ones with braces and then your back stays warm. Get a size too big and you can tuck your top inside.

Normal boots but with thermal socks.

Thin gloves of the sort joggers and runners wear.

neck snood.

Hmmm, snuggly. Bet your scope freezes up before you do.  :ph34r:

Ronin, nearby we have Atmosphere and Sail stores that carry tons of winter stuff, many of us skip across the border and save in New York and Vermont, or New Hamphire however! I'm picking up a North Face parka for a third less, Quebec prices are higher.

Swedeman, I can understand crossing to the US, Canadian prices have risen relatively over the last few years. The C$ maintained it's value but the prices didn't alter so now they are high. Noticed it was high the last time I was visiting friends over there. One place I visited in Vancouver a group of Canadians wouldn't go in as the total cost for them was somewhat excessive so not just visitors can find it high now. Sorel PAC Boots sound good.

It sounds a but daft, but chainsaw trousers are really warm as they are full of layers of felted material designed to stop a chainsaw from digging into your leg. They also have a bib and braces so your midriff does not get exposed when you need over out reach up.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

My usual winter night gear is;

Beany/ski hat

Neckwear sometimes, I like using buffs as you can pull them over your face.

jacket/coat

thick tracksuit bottoms, or something windproof with thermals or tights underneath

normal shoes/boots but with thermal socks

thin liner type gloves

Hot drink in a thermos cup.

It sounds a but daft, but chainsaw trousers are really warm as they are full of layers of felted material designed to stop a chainsaw from digging into your leg.

So I could be warm, and immune to chainsaw attack by children?! Awesome! :grin:

Actually, bib and braces sounds really good...

So I could be warm, and immune to chainsaw attack by children?! Awesome!

Blimey! It sounds a bit rough round where you are ;) all I have to worry about are children who come downstairs and turn on all of the lights after they are supposed to be in bed...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Decent boots/footwear area an absolute must for me - bought some snow boots and that's extended my time at the scope in winter by hours! Otherwise I wear what I'd wear for a winter day's fell walking and I'm usually fine. A scarf is good, and I use some of those thin climber's gloves. Coldest I've been out in so far is a relatively balmy (by Canadian standards :smiley: ) -6c.

• 2 weeks later...

another hobby of mine is long distance hiking. the Scottish highlands in the winter is a  good place to test your resolve. the best insulator is air, so 3 layers will do the job.

1.a base layer ( something that will 'wick' sweat from your skin)

2. something cotton or fleece

3. something wind proof.

as for your legs, either thermals or thick derriere tights (don't laugh) :blink:

I  am 61 years old.  I love looking at the night sky when its about 40 degrees and up....Around here thats about 7 months out of the year.  Those other 5 months it has to be a special event to get me outside....But one trick is to use a propane tank with a buddy heater.....this does make really cold weather tolerable for a couple hours even if its costing you a few bucks per session.

1.a base layer ( something that will 'wick' sweat from your skin)

2. something cotton or fleece

3. something wind proof.

as for your legs, either thermals or thick derriere tights (don't laugh) :blink:

I thought that in Glasgow a stringed vest was all that was required in the winter. :laugh2:

I work outdoors all year round and find there's nothing worse than cold feet.. I wear Timberland Pro Snyders for work and now observing.

Quite expensive but worth every penny, nice thick soled comfortable leather boots that really do keep yer tooties toasty!

Archived