WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gtis said:

Not just China   it comes from Turkey Spain Luxembourg and South Korea 

Yes your right Neil. There are a lot of suppliers cheaper than the UK 

It has a lot to do with energy prices, silly environmental policies, and the lack of government interest in having a manufacturing Base to our economy. There are other factors which I don't care to mention so all have played a part in it's closure (because that's what it means)

Let's face it if it had RBS above the door it would have billions of taxpayers money thrown at it to bail it out!  Something I disagree with entirely 

2 minutes ago, gtis said:

Hi damiam

i quite agree with what you say

A lot probably do Neil

An astronomy forum isn't really the place to discuss the down fall of an industrial giant or vent anger so I will leave it at that.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and support to everyone 

15 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Not long back from Winscar with Mark, Ryan and Lee 

Only found Ryan and Lee in the other car park 10mins before home time 

Would have loved to gone to Winscar but am on Jury Service 2 week so far at LCC, however did manage at last to give my Infinity DSO cam a firstlight on the bubble nebula & owl cluster, played around for a while, and pleased with it for my first go, looks like its got good potential for me, I will need a few more decent nights like tonight, and a session or two at Winscar sometime with it.

Eric  

Sorry to Mark and Damian for not mentioning which car park we were going to. It was still nice to have a catch up with you both. And thanks for the chocolate Damian!

conditions were good but not perfect. I think as Damian said there was some moisture in the air. We saw a few Galaxies and the Double Cluster in Cassiopia looked great!

My barn door tracker wasn't working as well as it should. I was struggling to get any longer than 30 sec subs at 18mm F3.5. So something a miss there. Maybe the Arduino controllers timer isn't quite 1rpm? I thought I did a pretty decent job at polar alignment so it's definitely something I need to look into.

I was there all alone ? Damian came to the rescue and had a good old chat and catch up while my camera clicked away. Not sure how the picks will turn out. 

Glad I cought up with you both Ryan and Lee 

Great you all got out and managed at least some observing, imaging and chocolate. I wasn't forecast any clear skies but low and behold it did clear up, so went out with the astrotrac. It was incredibly dewy which very quickly turned to frost and ice, I managed to keep the cold at bay with chocolate, beer and wine ;)

did some wide field here's one of the house, and Milkyway over the forest. Not processed any yet as computer is at home. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

large.20160330_230116_FINAL.JPGlarge.20160330_235857_FINAL.JPG

Managed to get out for a bit last night - I think the flowers I bought her for the wedding anniversary must have done the trick!

Both taken with my 200P, with the colour one from Philips SPC900NC Webcam and the Mono from QHY5L-II. Pleased with both really :)

1 minute ago, MattGoo said:

Managed to get out for a bit last night - I think the flowers I bought her for the wedding anniversary must have done the trick!

Both taken with my 200P, with the colour one from Philips SPC900NC Webcam and the Mono from QHY5L-II. Pleased with both really :)

lovely Matt think i need to consider a ccd might have to find a web cam to play with first to see how i go

5 hours ago, MattGoo said:

Hi Matt,

those are really good Jups. You should be very proud of those a, we'll done, onwards and upwards. Looks like you bought well, with a bit of skill thrown in ?

Fabulous images Mark, Soupy and Matt! Loving your work chaps :)

Here's my image from last night's efforts - been shopping for a new laptop today as my old one died for the AP cause whilst imaging last night. It was a noble death LOL

This one shows galaxies M65 & M66 which are two of the Leo triplets, the third being NGC3628 which is not in this image
M65 (bottom left) and M66 (top right) lie approximately 35 million light years away in the constellation of Leo
A total of 11 x 300 second subs stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed in PS Elements 11

M65 & M66 30.03.2016.jpg

Well what a day its been, ive just come back in from a really good observing session, and all just from my back garden! which is even better because ive saved money on petrol hehe

Started off at lunch time by recovering Vicks 'stella' galaxy pictures from her laptop, and she was kind enough to let me borrow her mono camera, so after my tea tonight i got the scope out, took it down to the bottom of the garden, plugged it all in and away I went. I think i managed to get some ok shots to say it was my first time, although ursula was on the other end of facebook with words of advice :) so here they are, sorry if some look the same, but there my first ones :)

23_21_30 jupiter.bmp

23_21_30 jupiter2.bmp

23_21_30 jupiter3.bmp

23_57_41 jupiter4.bmp

01_02_29 jupiter with barlow.bmp      This was using my 2x Barlow

01_34_48 cam in back of scope jupiter io and europa.bmp        tried the camera straingt into the back og my scope. The others were into the diagonal.

Id better get to bed now as ive got work in the morning!

Archived