SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Not onto the thrust yet... 

But magnets are much Stronger than gravity so sick a big magnet in space and all rockets will go to it so negating the need for rockets. However we'll probably all be attracted to it as we drove around in our cars! ;)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

adding the swivel screen on to the dslr cameras certainly puts the price up a bit doesn't it

To be honest I'm not sure which Canon models have the swivel screen. I will live without one as I don't intend on changing my DSLR. I'm not sure how much of a deciding factor it would be on my choice if I ever bought another. Curry's are doing the 1200D as a bundle with the 2 x lenses for £309 this weekend, but that doesn't have the swivel screen. Depends on your budget to be fair and how much AP you think you'll be doing with it. Plus, only you know what features you want it to have and whether you feel you want to go that extra push for a high-end DSLR.

10 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

The 700D and 750D both have one

Yup, they sure do. Next you have to decide what features you want it to have. The 750D has a whopping 24.2MP but I'd do a comparison with other features to ensure you are getting the right camera to meet your needs :)

2 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

yea, i have to look at what other features they had. i think a nikon 5300 might be the equivalent nikon model, but i havnt really compared them 

I believe Ryan has just bought the Nikon 5500, but I've not looked at Nikons to compare with Canon :)

1 minute ago, astrotyke said:

that might be the similar model, i get confused with all the millions of model numbers :)

It does get very confusing, then they have MkI and MkII of the same model number! Doesn't make it easy when you are trying to compare features which may only vary very slightly between models.

13 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

It does get very confusing, then they have MkI and MkII of the same model number! Doesn't make it easy when you are trying to compare features which may only vary very slightly between models.

lol dont confuse it any more :)

I must admit, I looked at the weights when I chose my 100D. Apart from the swivel screen it is perfect for all my needs. Think it is one of Canon's lightest DSLRs weighing in at just 407g for body, battery and memory card. However as much as this is an advantage when carrying the thing around, I suppose it could also be a disadvantage if you are planning to stick real high end heavy lenses on it. Don't think that will be an issue with my set of stock lenses hehe. Looking at reviews, the Nikon 5500 is the equivalent to the 750D, and does come out on top in some of the features. I suppose a lighter weight DSLR could be advantageous when mounting onto your scope to help with balancing issues. Hmm, too many decisions, but choosing and buying your gear is half the fun :)

19 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Well, like yourself Eric I tried to get out to do a bit of viewing earlier but it is too blustery and there is a lot of cloud around. So, I did the only thing there was to be done and poured myself a John Smith's Smooth and curled up with a selection of astro books. Totally immersed myself in The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas. I fall in love with this book more and more every time I open it and pour over the stunning images on every page. I cannot recommend this book enough. So useful when viewing and imaging as it shows you where everything is with the star map on one page with a long exposure image of the same area of sky on the opposite page. I just love this book :)

IMG_20160327_222423.jpg

IMG_20160327_222802.jpg

I have just been reading a book circa 1960's cost 63 shillings lol, over 400 Photographs, paintings & documents by (Sir) Fred Hoyle, Professor of Astronomy at Cambridge Uni, Professor of Astrophysics & latter day known as the 'Cosmic Anarchist', real heavy going in places for my simple mind but some real  interesting parts & points of interest in the book  that show just how advanced/innovative this guy was, he was a unique astronomer and founder & developer of a unique new theory on Cosmology. Known also for his rejection of the 'Big Bang' theory lol.

1 minute ago, 2STAR said:

I have just been reading a book circa 1960's cost 63 shillings lol, over 400 Photographs, paintings & documents by (Sir) Fred Hoyle, Professor of Astronomy at Cambridge Uni, Professor of Astrophysics & latter day known as the 'Cosmic Anarchist', real heavy going in places for my simple mind but some real  interesting parts & points of interest in the book  that show just how advanced/innovative this guy was, he was a unique astronomer and founder & developer of a unique new theory on Cosmology. Known also for his rejection of the 'Big Bang' theory lol.

Now, I bet that is an interesting book. I can't get enough of anything astro related :)

5 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Yorkshire man too!

Android Marshmallow update out and it's great I now can't use the 3x4 phone style keyboard with eBay or Google search as it won't let you select predictive text!

Really screwed things up the qwerty is just so slow!

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Android Marshmallow update out and it's great I now can't use the 3x4 phone style keyboard with eBay or Google search as it won't let you select predictive text!

Whats an Android Marshmallow Damian ?, is it a consumable new product, like make a call, eat it & then hope it doesn't give you chronic indigestion!!!!! 

9 hours ago, mapstar said:

Does it come with hot chocolate and whipped cream? If so I can forgive the predictive text thing, if not they can stick it!

Archived