Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

eh what, i dont have a cat, not even got a dog :)   No, not confusing me, its better to read it here than on other websites that as Mark mentioned earlier contradict everyone else.

p.s  whats a cat?

I'm not sure what a newt onions is?

Well, like yourself Eric I tried to get out to do a bit of viewing earlier but it is too blustery and there is a lot of cloud around. So, I did the only thing there was to be done and poured myself a John Smith's Smooth and curled up with a selection of astro books. Totally immersed myself in The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas. I fall in love with this book more and more every time I open it and pour over the stunning images on every page. I cannot recommend this book enough. So useful when viewing and imaging as it shows you where everything is with the star map on one page with a long exposure image of the same area of sky on the opposite page. I just love this book :)

IMG_20160327_222423.jpg

IMG_20160327_222802.jpg

Thanks Damian. Watched the first part of the Jim Al-Khalili programme last week. Very good. Looking forward to the next one. Horizon is on at 8pm on Wednesday. Got it on series link. Couldn't get into the one on Project Greenglow and gravity last week. Will have to give it another go. Don't think I had my concentrating head on when I tried to watch it before lol :)

5 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Well, like yourself Eric I tried to get out to do a bit of viewing earlier but it is too blustery and there is a lot of cloud around. So, I did the only thing there was to be done and poured myself a John Smith's Smooth and curled up with a selection of astro books. Totally immersed myself in The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas. I fall in love with this book more and more every time I open it and pour over the stunning images on every page. I cannot recommend this book enough. So useful when viewing and imaging as it shows you where everything is with the star map on one page with a long exposure image of the same area of sky on the opposite page. I just love this book :)

IMG_20160327_222423.jpg

IMG_20160327_222802.jpg

Such a lovely part of the sky

The very nicely coloured red star Antares is a favourite, Graffias one end Shaula the other. It's been that long since I've been out I can't remember the rest.

As everyone says it looked good earlier but was far too windy to get the scope out!

Chris there are historically two reasons why most APers went for Canon rather than Nikon.

1. Canon were very relaxed with their operating system coding which allowed people to build aftermarket software that could then easily control the camera from a laptop, Nikon didn't allow access to theirs so aftermarket software was hard to come by and you had to pay for their own software.

2. Canon cameras had a very secure enclosure around the chip which stopped the cameras internal heat causing the pixels to falsely fire giving light bleed. Nikons were not great and had issues with this, so long nighttime exposures gave much noisier pictures.

it now seems Nikon has greatly improved both these issues and there is now very little to choose between both makes, so it all comes down to a matter of preference.

i do agree there are lots of other options out there, I for one started with an Olympus and got some great pics from this. 

Take your time with the choice and make sure it has all your essentials, otherwise you'll end up going back to buy again and wasting your money. ;)

As for newt onions they sound tasty!

1 minute ago, Vicky050373 said:

Thanks Damian. Watched the first part of the Jim Al-Khalili programme last week. Very good. Looking forward to the next one. Horizon is on at 8pm on Wednesday. Got it on series link. Couldn't get into the one on Project Greenglow and gravity last week. Will have to give it another go. Don't think I had my concentrating head on when I tried to watch it before lol :)

Just testing you were paying attention! Edited now

3 hours ago, astrotyke said:

similar thing to what Vicky has done here, just not with 100ks worth of equipment hehe :)

Shhhh..... don't tell Terry my gear cost £100k lol. I told him it was only £50k hehe ;)

On a serious note I have attached a piggy-back mount for my DSLR  onto my 8SE OTA but haven't used it yet. I'll let you know how I get on when I do. Seem to have spent my time getting my CCD sorted recently and then the weather has stopped play :(

6 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Chris there are historically two reasons why most APers went for Canon rather than Nikon.

1. Canon were very relaxed with their operating system coding which allowed people to build aftermarket software that could then easily control the camera from a laptop, Nikon didn't allow access to theirs so aftermarket software was hard to come by and you had to pay for their own software.

2. Canon cameras had a very secure enclosure around the chip which stopped the cameras internal heat causing the pixels to falsely fire giving light bleed. Nikons were not great and had issues with this, so long nighttime exposures gave much noisier pictures.

it now seems Nikon has greatly improved both these issues and there is now very little to choose between both makes, so it all comes down to a matter of preference.

i do agree there are lots of other options out there, I for one started with an Olympus and got some great pics from this. 

Take your time with the choice and make sure it has all your essentials, otherwise you'll end up going back to buy again and wasting your money. ;)

As for newt onions they sound tasty!

An interesting insight soupy, i didnt know any of that. im just browsing the net tonight and ill draw up a shortlist of what I think fits my bill, then i might nip to the shops tomorrow and actually go and look at them and see what I think.

1 minute ago, mapstar said:

Me too! Also just observing a galaxy type object with a ripple in it!

I'm observing a corona but not necessarily a solar one... Been a long lent, making up for it tonight! The Sambucca Galaxy is also making an appearance ;)

10 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Me too! Also just observing a galaxy type object with a ripple in it!

Hmm, I think that Ripple might be getting raided that has been on emergency stand-by, courtesy of Damian. Chocolate and a good beer make a great combination. Think I'll be cracking open the Disaronno shortly. Might need it to get through this Horizon programme :)

p.s. I don't understand magnets.......

1 hour ago, astrotyke said:

p.s  whats a cat?

Chris, a "cat" is a catadioptric system, where refraction and reflection are combined in an optical system. To be honest, I get confused with the different types of scopes, but our SCTs (Schmidt-Cassegrain) are a type of catadioptric scope. Maksutov-Cassegrains, are another variation. It's all about Cats and Dobs lol ;)

Just now, Soupy said:

Magnets are interesting things. Did you notice podkletnov was wearing the same tie in the program as he was in the picture when he visited UK. 

I just don't get how magnets can pull together, or push each other apart - there is nothing actually there for goodness sake! LOL it boggles my brain, which isn't all that difficult at times......

No, I didn't notice the tie, but then again I've been somewhat pre-occupied on SGL hehe - don't think you've had enough of the old sambucca if you're noticing such details lol, plus you can still spell Podkletnov ;)

A man in a white lab coat is talking about thrust right now....

6 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Chris, a "cat" is a catadioptric system, where refraction and reflection are combined in an optical system. To be honest, I get confused with the different types of scopes, but our SCTs (Schmidt-Cassegrain) are a type of catadioptric scope. Maksutov-Cassegrains, are another variation. It's all about Cats and Dobs lol ;)

oh yea, i know what they are, my brain was just thinking of soft furry animals lol. might be the beer, chocolate and crisp sandwich that ive just eaten lol

Just now, astrotyke said:

oh yea, i know what they are, my brain was just thinking of soft furry animals lol. might be the beer, chocolate and crisp sandwich that ive just eaten lol

And there's me trying to be sensible for once. Tut! hehe;)

Archived