Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New lounger from Germany

Roger Fairhurst

Hi there everybody!

Greetings from old Germany.

I made the mistake of posting this reply to "avtaram's" New member thread instead of starting a new topic. Apologies to avtaram - I did not intend hi-jacking your thread!

I have been mildly interested in astronomy for years and years (I'm now 64 going on 15!) and last year I finally took the plunge and bought a scope. It was a simple 70/700 refractor from Bresser bought from a local photo shop.

I soon discovered its limitations:

Very poor stock eyepieces, very unstable tripod and mount (EQ3), cheap viewfinder scope with dark crosswires, coarse focusing and a generally cheap build altogether with lots of plastik . But for €160 it gave me a start in the world of skygazing.

A local grammar school has an active astronomy group and their own observatory on the school roof - nice! Once a year they hold an astronomy fair/event and dealers and enthusiasts come from all over the country and neighbouring Holland. Here it's possible to buy scopes, accessories and just chat to the experts and enthusiasts. Here I was able to purchase 3 descent eypieces for around €50 - €70 each which improved the viewing performance no end:

Astro Professional 6mm fully coated (20mm) & 12.5mm fully coated (20mm)

Celestron 25mm Ploessel

I also picked up a Meade moon filter.

Sadly the school society is not open to outsiders but their event more than compensates.

Thanks to advice from the members on this forum and the German Astroshop.de I have this morning ordered my "next" scope despite only having registered with the forum yesterday!

It's a Skywatcher 150/750 Explorer BD NEQ-3 and for good measure I also orded a Celestron Cheshire collimator to help with setting it up.

When I've had a chance to get used to the new machine (might have to wait until autumn for good viewing conditions) I intend adding a 8x50 viewefinder with cross-wire LED since this is one big problem for me with the Bresser - not sure if with or w/o 90° eyepiece. I am looking forward to combining the Astro Pro eypieces with the new tube!

My house does have a garden but unfotunately the end of the garden and the house block the view of most of the sky! It does however face south! I will doubtless get round to driving somewhere near witrh a better view once I feel confident with the SW.

Thanks to all who offered advice and welcomed me to the group - it is truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Roger

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived