Hello from rainy Vancouver Canada

starminder

Hello everyone!

I just started to go on astronomy forums now for the first time, so this is offically my first post ever.

I'm graduate student in astronomy from the University of British Columbia, my research has been stellar! (pun intended) I do research that involves astrometry, photometry and just recently spectroscopy of stars in the core of globular clusters. We look for intermediate mass black holes and needless to say I'm very skeptical of their existence. Additionally I've just found the distance to Messier 71 using a brand new technique where we use the geometry of the star's radial velocities and their proper motions. This is a first for astronomers! We've never had complete 3D velocities for stars in the core of such a crowded field. I could go on about my research for hours but I'd rather not!

What brought me to these boards is the expertise that the members would have in astrophotography. I've tried my luck over the past while when I've had the chance and I've achieved so-so results. I have access to a 0.5 meter cassegrain telescope as I work at the local planetarium in Vancouver. However we are plagued by rain and extreme light pollution. Its so bad that I've yet to be pleased at any views of a DSO to date.

Also I love IRAF, if anyone here uses it or has experience with it that would be great!

I've attached an image of the Solar System I've taken over the years. The planets are to rough scale, all are real except for my Earth and Venus images where are just dots to represent their actual size. (I couldn't find my Venus image when making the composite) I hope with the information on these boards and advice from fellow astrophotographers I can improve my results.

post-29354-0-39454200-1362182925_thumb.j

Clear Skies!

-rs

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Starminder welcome to SGL, great to have you onboard, im sure people will have alot of questions to ask you aswell, some nice images there, look forward to seeing more.

Archived