Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8.5 Hours in Orion

E_ri_k

Last week I had clear nights nearly every night for a change! So this is my first proper image through the new equipment, Vixen ED80 and HEQ5.

Exposure was 8.5 Hours (51 x 10 minute subs) over 4 nights with the QHY10 at -15C, fully calibrated.

Hope you like it!

Erik

post-14838-0-27680600-1358064682_thumb.j

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Erk,

May be core is a bit bright

Mark

I agree, on the core brightness. I had another version which was toned down a touch with more core detail, but overall I think this version was better. I tried fixing the core but I ruined other parts of the image. Not too sure how to just work the core.

Thanks for the good feedback guys.

Erik

Erik, this is beautiful, and in many ways an accurate presentation of what the nebula actually looks like, if we could see it.

The core IS incredibly bright, even 1 second exposures @ f10 with a Ha filter yields a lot of detail, so to see it presented like this is very true to life. I was even viewing it on an ordinary camcorder last night!

The smooth texture and billowyness of the gas clouds really add to the overall effect.

One of the nicest M42's I've seen in a while, thanks for sharing.

Tim

Archived