Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M35 in Gemini.

cotterless45

A lovely cluster, probably one of the nicest with long chains of bright stars, along with the smaller finer NGC2158. These are very well worth seeking out.

Easy to find, go the same distance from Mu on the other side of

Propus at the foot of Gemini. It shows well at x30 and at x80 fills the fov (82 degree ep).

To the left of Gemini I found The Medusa Nebula , visually a small planetary near the cluster NGC2395. The planetary is to the rhs of a triangle of stars. At x120 I noted more than one point of light.

Nick.

On dark, transparent nights, I always like the visual, subtle blue-white stars of M35 compared to the red-orange stars of the much more compact NGC 2158. Iv'e only seen these color differences on the darkest of nights when the pair is nearest the zenith in my 10" newt. I rate the pair second to the double cluster in Perseus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

M35 seems to make it into every observing session I do at the moment. Partly because its so great to look at and also the fact that it is 'high but not too high' makes for easy finding and viewing. Definitely one of the best binocular objects up there, and also great in low power with a telescope.

• 1 year later...

I just looked up ngc2935 in my copy of "Deep Sky Wonders." I tried to cross look it up on my google sky phone app. Not listed. I spose its too far or faint. Still, the accompanying photo of the Eskimo nebula is both quaint and breathtaking.

Yeah, M35 is good! And as noted, NGC2158 is good too - but I've never seen it in my 5". However, my 10" shows an obvious fuzzy patch with some stars resolving without too much hassle.

Also nearby, and a curious one to have a soft spot for, is NGC2129. Mentioned in TLAO. Sort of two brighter stars with two parallel chains of stars. Managed in AV in 5", easy and obvious in 10" 

Saw it through an 8 inch for the first time last night, pretty much full moon made it difficult to appreciate however will definitely return a few times, to observe and image. Love the contrast between the rich blue and the golden yellow clusters. Can see why it needs a large scope and darker skies to resolve ngc2158. Its difficulty and mystery makes me prefer it to the double.

one of my all time faves. i also really like M38 with NGC 1907. aperture of 10" is needed to pick out this faint cluster but from a dark site is easy seen in a 8".

I spotted it with my 5" scope when at Astrocamp in the Brecons - but my notes do describe it as very dim and fuzzy. Definitely there though - I was looking for M38, and had to check what it was nearby.

I like the difference when moving from M35 to M37, which is another well populated cluster but one where most of the stars are pret much equally dim.

I looked at M36 as well on Tuesday night before the clouds moved back, and Down to B226 which was Described by Sue French as looking " like the area

of the sky that M36 has been scooped out of." and she is absolutely right, it is approximately the same size and nearly the same shape - not sure why I

have not looked at this before as it is quite obvious and easy to find as a hole in the stars just to the south.

Celebrations where in order then as B226 Happened to be my 1,000 th DSO I have star-hopped my 8" Newt to,  since we moved to the IOW in 2001.

I went crazy and had 4 Digestives instead of my usual 3.

Clear skies  (such luck)

Mick

Waterworld, Southern England

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived