Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are you aspiring to observe this Autumn / Winter?

jonathan

Just wondering what people have in their 'To-Observe' lists this season.

Last season I had fun finding and observing clusters; I may have another crack at those elusive nebulae and galaxies, my equipment has improved since last year and I also should be able to get out to a darker site than my back garden, so seeing those faint fuzzies should be within reach of my 8SE.

Also hoping there will be some crisp sunny winter days for some solar observing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got quite a specific list to be honest. Since I only just got the scope last month, I'll be aiming for the 'beginners list' of planets (eg, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars). Plus, I only just figured out how a long exposure of a constellation boosts the quality of the stars so I'll be trying to fit some constellations in there too, like Orion.

I'll probably start to move onto some galaxies and nebulae as well, like The Great Andromeda and maybe the Orion Nebula.

Finally, if I get a job working up til Christmas, I was thinking of getting some Baader solar film so I can see the Sun. It's just way too expensive right now!

I would really like to see one of the winter meteor showers. The orionoids are due next weekend as far as i know and i hope it is a decent one.

Wait til you see the Geminids in early Dec. They are my favourite meteor shower. They typically glow a green colour and travel fairly slow compared to other meteor showers.

I have no real plans, you never know what the universe will throw at you! Currently hunting down asteroids but Jupiter is becoming increasingly attractive as it rises earlier and earlier. Will probably get back into DSO's at some point as well. With the weather the way it is I would just be glad of the opportunity to get out and see anything!

Archived