Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

For Sale, or not For Sale ?

EntropyStar

Hi all...

Now I've debated whether I should say anything on this but after a couple more instances I've crossed that threshold. I would like to ask why people advertise items to sell on astrobuysell.com with no intention of selling. Three times in the past month I've requested to purchase an item, the seller agrees, and then when it comes to actually exchanging money (i.e. discussing PayPal) they either vanish, or mail me back saying they wish to keep said items instead. Now once is frustrating but when it starts to be a recurrent theme then I think it's fair to ask questions.

Can anybody please explain why people do this???? I have noticed on here in the past people have mentioned they might put things up on Astrobuy & Sell to get an idea of what people are willing to offer them, so long as it's clear in the advert I can see the logic in that, but not for those people who don't disclose you're being experimented on. Is this a common problem or something that is a one off??? Does ‘selling’ mean something different in the astro community?! Sorry for the moan but I’ve been let down a lot recently after finding items for sale I’ve been waiting on for a long time, I don’t think it’s fair to advertise something you have no intention of actually selling :angry4:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's more frustrating is the idiots who come, after agreeing a price, and then say that it isn't as they expected and waste your time, piling on every trick under the sun to say that the product is basically worthless or not as they expected. Guess some people have money to waste on petrol on the off chance of some fool parting with a product for a lot less than it is worth. Of course, having wasted said petrol money and going back empty handed, it makes any deal they make in the future no better, anyway. But hey, guess people don't think of that.

The trouble about people not wanting to sell is, and I have felt the same: you get attached to something, and you think, actually - I am going to use that, or hmmmm I might get a better price, or hmmmm, do I really want to sell it anyway. It is a common occurance, not unique to astronomy classifieds!! Annoying, yes. Anything you can do about it? Probably not, as it is technically there possession until you've paid for it. Don't know how the law of verbal (in this case, written!) agreements or contracts would play in to it - probably not very highly.

It is annoying but I really can't see what can be done about it, other than not taking any interest in future adverts by that seller.

I've been in the opposite situation a couple of times too, where, as a seller, an offer to buy has been withdrawn with no real reason being given. Annoying if you have marked the item as "sale pending" or "sold" which will have dissuaded other potential buyers.

I've put these things down to the nature of private buying and selling. Most of the time things work out OK but you get the occasional "blip" which you mark down to experience.

Hi all...

Now I've debated whether I should say anything on this but after a couple more instances I've crossed that threshold. I would like to ask why people advertise items to sell on astrobuysell.com with no intention of selling. Three times in the past month I've requested to purchase an item, the seller agrees, and then when it comes to actually exchanging money (i.e. discussing PayPal) they either vanish, or mail me back saying they wish to keep said items instead. Now once is frustrating but when it starts to be a recurrent theme then I think it's fair to ask questions.

Can anybody please explain why people do this???? I have noticed on here in the past people have mentioned they might put things up on Astrobuy & Sell to get an idea of what people are willing to offer them, so long as it's clear in the advert I can see the logic in that, but not for those people who don't disclose you're being experimented on. Is this a common problem or something that is a one off??? Does ‘selling’ mean something different in the astro community?! Sorry for the moan but I’ve been let down a lot recently after finding items for sale I’ve been waiting on for a long time, I don’t think it’s fair to advertise something you have no intention of actually selling :angry4:

I had the same issue elsewhere, before buying my scope I was actually looking into the second hand realm.

After a 50 euro rebate, and after some precious SGL advise, I was ready to buy a second hand, full working, rarely used (discontinued model) Vixen go-to mount, and just before getting into a 30 km drive per way with my mate, I got a text from the seller saying that the vixen computer didn't seem to be working anymore and there was no replacement for it, so he wouldn't sell a non-working item. Fair enough.

The very same Ad (no mention if the computer had been replaced or showed any malfunction) was posted again after a few months at the same price.

I guess sometimes people feel forced to get rid of some equipment to be able to afford something else, or just because they are running short of cash, so changes of mind might be normal depending on their own circumstances and given that they were not seriously willing to sell in first place but just trying to fix their own finance.

There might also be a lot of people trying to knock down second hand prices by posting fake ads with lower then average pricing that would influence other sellers asking prices.

Clear Skies

If its any consolation had similar issues when giving items away for free on freecycle!! And that's without money being involved ie asking for pics and asking to hold then pulling out last min. At least with selling you get some return in the end rather than wasted time :)

it is flipping annoying I agree. I think it's the collector in us all not wanting to let go. I hate the testing the water too - either sell or don't sell. probably shouldn't admit this but my method is often to commit to buy before I sell and then I have no choice but to sell quickly and raise the funds. certainly prevents any prevarication on my part. I should add tha I always have a contingency when it comes to the purchase in case things don't sell as quickly as I'd like.

That is annoying behaviour. I have only bought and sold a few things on ABS (and a couple on here), and I have had just one or two buyers backing out, but that was for a very good reason in those few instances. I managed to sell to someone else a few days later. I might have been lucky.

I have a couple of other instances, not with Astro B&S though.

If on the dreaded ebay, I win something, the payment is made the instant I get notification, this could be a matter of seconds or sometimes minutes. On a few instances now, I have had to repeatedly contact sellers asking for a despatch date. I don't expect them to send something at 11pm, but I do expect it to be posted the next working day especially as they have their money. This is happening quite a lot recently, and its getting very annoying.

The worst one is when you make a payment and then they change their mind. Now to me, if I have paid and that payment has been recieved, then the purchased equiment is no mine and therefore how can someone legaly change their mind? But it has happened to me twice now.

Luckily, the other day, I purchased a Baader Contrast filter, as I was (still am) off shore I had problems setting up a transfer of the funds and I asked the guy to wait which he agreed to. In the mean time, I managed to contact my wife who got the payment made. I told the seller and he posted it that same morning.

That is how it should be and I am greatful for such as smooth transaction.

Remember, the majority of people are genuine and decent, its just the problem ones we get to hear about.

Thanks

Martin

The worst one is when you make a payment and then they change their mind. Now to me, if I have paid and that payment has been recieved, then the purchased equiment is no mine and therefore how can someone legaly change their mind? But it has happened to me twice now.

As I understand it, in England & Wales, the 'offer' is made by the buyer and once that offer is accepted by the seller [it has to be that way round, to avoid the ridiculous scenario of three 'buyers' accepting a seller's offer to sell one item and committing him to three contracts of sale], as long as there is some sort of consideration (eg the buyer paying the seller some money), that is a contract of sale in place. So the short answer to your question is 'they can't'.

However, the cost of enforcing the contract with a reluctant seller would, in most instances, far outweigh the benefits of doing so, and the courts do not look kindly upon people bringing what they consider to be 'frivolous' actions.

I have recently had the same problem as a seller from a buyer who has been messing me around for a couple of weeks not paying for an item. Eventually an email explaining I had another potential buyer and would sell to that person if he did not make prompt payment resulted in a 'FORGET IT' response.

VERY frustrating.

If its any consolation had similar issues when giving items away for free on freecycle!! And that's without money being involved ie asking for pics and asking to hold then pulling out last min. At least with selling you get some return in the end rather than wasted time :)

Ha! I know what you mean. I've given stuff away for free on 'gumtree' before and the number of people wanting me to, deliver - keep till their cousin comes back from uni - bring it round so they can have a look etc. is unbelievable!

I ask for contact details straight away and phone the buyer to get a feel how genuine they are or if they're a bit iffy about selling. I also use the opportunity to ask about the items history/condition, and negotiate a little if I feel the asking price is a tad more than it should be. If we agree a sale I arrange pick up at the earliest possibility for cash on collection. You soon get to know if they are procrastinating with a quick call. It ain't fool proof but I feel it lessens the odds of a let down. :)

Possibly they verbally agreed one deal which is lower than what they wanted and then they back out if another 'better' offer subsequently comes in... this can't happen on eBay but can happen on other non-regulated sites.

However that said, I have had one great purchase/transaction on ABS, one great purchase/transaction on eBay and some mediocre ones on both.

I have also had some great comms from people on ABS and SGL even though they haven't resulted in a puchase...

Best,

Yes its very frustrating i have had it several times where someone will say i would like the item if its still available only to never reply to the subsequent email about payment. Very annoying.

Yes but I have had exactly the opposite where I make an offer and because I don't respond to an email within a couple of hours - say i'm travelling home or similar, then its offered elsewhere. That's a bit keen . Lost a couple of good things through sellers in a rush.

Take your time, don't get wound up.

Mike

Maybe it is people 'testing the water' without saying. Personally I never even bother to look at these adds and think they should say ' I will only sell if I can get close to retail price' sorry a bit negative, but I only ever contacted a seller twice and was not answered either time. Will probably try to use again in future, but have been unlucky with it so far.

I have had this happen to me on a few occasions ,main reasons for puling out of the deal have been sentimental second thoughts ,one occaision was i think to see how much he could get for said bit of kit most annoying was a rare nagler that i'd been after for ages ,but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as a few weeks later i found another in better condition and cheaper too.

But i do think that anyone contemplating selling anything should think about it long and hard before placing the ad then regretting it afterwards .

Ah the phrase "testing the water" words can't describe my hatred of this phrase. If you are not sure if you want to sell it then don't.

If you are not sure of the price look at other adverts. If you think other adverts are too low price then put the price you want and in the worst case you won't get any interest.

There's nothing to test all you are testing is your commitment to a sale and wasting everyone esles blumming time. I avoide these adverts like the plague.

I bid & won a dingy on E bay.£73 was the bid.

Sent email to see when i could pick it up.

Was told that he would let it go for £160.

Would not sell it at the bid price.I could have

pushed it, but i could not be bothered.

On sale 2 weeks later, at a buy it now price of

£160.First problem i have had on E Bay.

Way things go.

Steve.

• 5 weeks later...

How do people deal with buying expensive stuff like mounts and telescopes that are then posted to them?

I'm in the market for a HEQ5 mount but aren't prepared to hand over hundreds of pounds to someone having no guarantee I'll get what I paid for.

I'd appreciate any input and ideas.

Archived