NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

For Sale, or not For Sale ?

EntropyStar

I always google the email address first and then ring them up. depending on the amount I either travel to collect or trust them depending on what I can find out about them - if SGL'er it's a bit easier of course.

it does not cost that much to travel even for 400 miles+ round trip and I'd often sooner do that for delicate/expensive items.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I have used ABS a lot both buying and selling and not had any problems at all, maybe I have been lucky. I am surprised at how trusting some people have been in handing over large sums of cash by Paypal (including a mount which I had to post as it was too far to travel !!! - that was "fun").

I am however a bit more careful when I pay out money, and try to buy off people who I know are on forums and have a reputation to keep, or go and collect the item myself. I did take a risk once with some-one I didn't know, but it worked out OK.

Carole

I've bought quite a few things from Astrobuy and SGL and luckily all my purchases have been problem free. I feel for you and totally agree that people shouldn't place adds if they are not intending to sell, it shows a rather large lack of consideration for others.

First off, I have to say without exception that it has been a pleasure buying stuff off of people here on this forum, who without exception have proven to be very nice people and very hospitable (I always offer to inspect/collect). Mind you I hate to think what their view of me might be :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: (answers via PM only!) The only adverts that wind me up in addition to the 'testing' the water ones are those that say, "make me an offer". It really doesn't take much effort to check out what a similar item has gone for on any of the used websites out there and seems more like being asked to participate in an auction rather a classified advert. There are exceptions where the product is unique or exceptionally rare where a comparison value is hard to find, but in the main this approach of tendering for me comes across as lacking a degree of integrity that I believe is important in this kind of transactions.

Off now to check my PM's as I fear there are going to be far too many to read! :grin: :grin: :grin:

James

If the cost is smallish then I just get it posted,

For something like an HEQ5 I would arrange to meet up and exchange money for the mount - that is exactly what I did for an HEQ5 a couple of years back. Even the trip for the HEQ5 wasn't too bad, fortunately the road network is reasonable for me.

I also tend to factor in the postage, if the postage is going to be £25 then I am willing to spend that on fuel instead, which if the cruise control is stuck on to 60-65 then a 250 mile trip equates to the post cost, possibly a bit less. See someone else, say hello and look at a slightly different part of the UK. Why does Wrexham seem to have lots of brunettes ?

Will also say that I have not followed up a good number of for sale items owing to where they are, too far to collect or simply where they are is not given, and also this strange idea people have of saying: "Prefer collection only." and still not supplying their location.

I have had only good experiences on SGL: my 31T5, 17T4, and both XWs, and a filter wheel all came from SGL. I have also had some good deals on ABS-UK (got a Skywatcher 2" O-III filter this weekend), and the Dutch site www.te-les-koop.nl is pretty good as well. I got an Astrolumina LRGB interference filter set for a very good price there, as well as my little Lunt. My only "bad" experience was with a planetary camera which in the end I refused to buy because it turned out to be an early model (prototype) without ST-4 port. The seller did tell me, but only after we had already agreed on a price. Bit of a downer, that one.

I am reluctant to hand over £500 not having inspected something. It would be nearly impossible to seek legal recourse if it turned out sour. I think I'll hold out until something turns up closer. One mount I found is in France and the other in Scotland. Lol.

Archived