Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

jamespels

Peak Star Party 2013

I've no idea what time I'll get there yet. I'll be the one who traditionally gets my car stuck in the mud whilst bringing the caravan on-site. In my defence the car is heavy and rear wheel drive and the ground is usually rubbish so it just kind of sinks. I was quietly chuckling at some of the 4x4's getting stuck last year but it had been pretty dire weather for weeks beforehand so the ground was very soft. I'm bringing at least one of my mates with me this year who wants to get into Astro but has never really looked through a scope before so I'll be sending him in the direction of you patient observers :)   

Thanks,  moonShane, yes slight trek but when you think how far the stars are away and we can see em, it puts travel into perspective, for me anyway. so best dust off the passport, (migrating from Essex LOL), start saving for the fuel , and will endeavour to get there for 2014. hae a great time this year, Lum.

I think im in saturn 2....will have my 180 pro set up on the HEQ5, and going to try and bring my Tal 100 and 150pds on the AZ4, any one is welcome to have a look through these scopes, providing i am not doing any imaging work (might have my little 90mm frac on the HEQ for imaging)

Hopefully we'll be bringing a Dob, a six inch achro / 8" Newt on GOTO, a 10" NEwt on Goto and a few cans of ale and clear skies. All welcome to come and have a look as we're boozy visuals,

Nick.

• Like 2

"Boozy visuals"  :grin: Gets my vote! Hoping to bring 6" achro, 5" achro and 4" achro if I can get 'em all in the car :).

"Boozy visuals"  :grin: Gets my vote! Hoping to bring 6" achro, 5" achro and 4" achro if I can get 'em all in the car :).

Ha, you will need a van !!

Ha, you will need a van !!

Hehe - may have to leave Sarah at home to make space!

• Like 1

just worked out a list for PSP13, it's about 160 objects long and with about 70 new objects! if I get even halfway through I'll be happy

If i see 20 Messier`s i will be happy never mind 70 i need to learn to star hop better and then to find objects better even when using TLAO i have struggled that could be down to LP but i am not sure.

just under half were messiers with the rest a mix of mainly NGCs and others.

you'll easily be able to get 20 messiers I'd bet. if you are struggling and want to see a few with me I'd be happy to help.

• Like 1

That s very kind of you i may well take you up on that i am new to this well two years, i definitely need right angled finder that may help. Any help from an experienced observer has got to be worth its weight in gold.

no worries. there's many on here have forgotten more than I know but I am pretty good at finding most things, I could probably show you at least 20-30 objects in an hour or so.  where's your tent? I am in Saturn 30 - look for the big white scope and rubbish green car.

Neptune 37 it says Scott but i am Paul i filled the form out for my friend and myself and payed through my sons PayPal account (Scott) so they have his name down i have emailed them and had reply saying they were going to amend it but they have not.

well, you are a fair distance but you'd be welcome anytime.

I have never been so i dont know i will have to check the lay of the land when i get there. Thank you very much for the offer it is much appreciated.

Edited by wookie1965

it's not that far to walk but I'd not want to carry a scope. most people would leave their scope set up (but maybe covered) if they go for a wander.

I will have my mate so i could split it down and carry half each if it is not that far only takes 5 minutes set back up.

all this talk of finding new objects, i should be spending a fair bit of time tracking down messiers as i now have a half decent newt, will make a nice change to being mainly planetary

• Like 1

I'm not bothering with a list really but would like to focus on galaxies my little 8'' will look so little next to u Shane lol, getting excited now as iv only played with the new scope once and it was Rubbish seeing :-)

It's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts! :)

I can't decide whether or not to bring the 5" or the 8"... 5" is very portable and easy to move if I want to set up somewhere other than my tent, AND in a dark site, performs brilliantly, but the 8" is just so impressive in comparison!!! What do I do?

if anyone wants a basic list of perhaps 20-30 easily located objects I could come up with this for them.

• Like 2