Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

jamespels

Peak Star Party 2013

3 miles....I wish!

180 for me :-(

Need to get clear of the M25 before normal Friday joy.

Stu

3 miles, nightfisher where abouts?

have a chat with me at psp and will tell you more about places i use

• Like 2

Getting close now , the long range forecasts are being studied, the kit is ready to go. The shopping list is planned,  vodka, beer and Jaffa cakes. The thermals are washed (sorry) and the mirrors cleaned. ........... 

So Lee, what do the tea leaves say the weather is going to do? :-)

Stu

Iv got out some of my stuff to check over but no room for it anywhere so can't bring the rest down till the last minute, got gas and checked the new cooker works and a proper kettle this time too... Excited when really I should be thinking about my bday being next Monday but don't care lol just want to get away again :-)

Airing my tent as we speak checking my airbed cannot find my sleeping bag son said he will lend me one and im bringing quilt just in case im getting on a bit now feel cold now.

post-20428-0-78304000-1380035815_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's a bit bigger than my tent! Still to sort a sleeping bag! But can't wait now.

• Like 1

That's a bit bigger than my tent! Still to sort a sleeping bag! But can't wait now.

Well i thought i can set the scope up and just take it in and out rather than keep setting it up there will be two of us sleeping in there.

its getting close, must remember gas for stove, got all the stuff to make my famous "cab stew" meal, just hope i can get every thing in the little car

"The stuff I had didn't cut it at all. Have now purchased a Coleman Big Game sleeping bag, which is good to temps of -20oC, and have tried it at zero temp and it was fine! All warm and snug and didn't need anything else with it!"

Hope it's all true Rae - I just purchased a Big Game on your recommendation lol :)

• Like 1

"The stuff I had didn't cut it at all. Have now purchased a Coleman Big Game sleeping bag, which is good to temps of -20oC, and have tried it at zero temp and it was fine! All warm and snug and didn't need anything else with it!"

Hope it's all true Rae - I just purchased a Big Game on your recommendation lol :)

£70 im saving my money see what astro gear is there.

I just sleep in my 16" dob, it's a fully flocked tube and very toasty.

• Like 1

I would love flock my scope but i have tried to undo the nuts holding the vanes and they wont budge and the vanes start to twist im scared im going to break them.

bring some flocking if you like, we could try to get it done during one of the days if we get chance. it's a great way to learn collimation!

• Like 1

bring some flocking if you like, we could try to get it done during one of the days if we get chance. it's a great way to learn collimation!

Dont want to put you out you have already said you would help me find some objects i dont like imposing.

one thing that concerns me......i have a EHU cable that might only be 10mtrs, i hope this will be long enough to reach the tent from leccy point?

Dont want to put you out you have already said you would help me find some objects i dont like imposing.

not at all mate, you'll be doing all the work! I can certainly help. it's an hour's job at worst for a small newt.

• Like 1

one thing that concerns me......i have a EHU cable that might only be 10mtrs, i hope this will be long enough to reach the tent from leccy point?

mine's the same length Jules, it's plenty.

• Like 1

not at all mate, you'll be doing all the work! I can certainly help. it's an hour's job at worst for a small newt.

Thank you very much and i have read will improve the contrast of my views a great deal.

I know this is a family show, but am I at least allowed to say 'ooh matron!'?? :-)

Sure the 10m will be enough Jules, although some of the top pitches do hook up through to the side where the caravan hard standings are if I remember correctly.

Stu

couple of things to consider of course. the moon will be an issue to some extent all weekend. this is good in a way as the moon is a great object but it sets about 11pm on the Friday, midnight on the Saturday and 1pm on the Sunday when it is half phase approx. this might be more of an issue for the Neptune field as from memory they face west approx?

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon-october-2013.phtml

we'll get a good view of Venus hopefully as the sun goes down. again best I think from the Neptune field.

Uranus and Neptune should rise just after dark and Jupiter about 1.30am, Mars about an hour or so later. so as well as all the faint stuff we hope to see when the moon's gone, there will be some good planetary opportunities too.

• Like 1

if I have this right then Jupiter's moons look active on the Saturday and Sunday a.m.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

03:16 UT, Europa's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
03:34 UT, Callisto's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
04:28 UT, Io's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
04:28 UT, ** A multi-shadow transit event begins. **
05:06 UT, Callisto's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
05:48 UT, Io begins transit of Jupiter.
06:00 UT, Europa begins transit of Jupiter.
06:04 UT, Europa's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
06:04 UT, ** The multi-shadow transit event ends. **
06:44 UT, Io's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
08:04 UT, Io ends transit of Jupiter.
08:46 UT, Europa ends transit of Jupiter.
15:32 UT, Callisto begins transit of Jupiter.
18:00 UT, Callisto ends transit of Jupiter.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

01:40 UT, Io enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
05:18 UT, Io exits occultation behind Jupiter.
20:18 UT, Ganymede enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
22:00 UT, Europa enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
22:56 UT, Io's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
23:26 UT, Ganymede exits eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.