Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Peak Star Party 2013

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha Shane, I hope to get some good views of a lot of stuff coz this new scope don't get to see much by my house :-( really need to get to grips with aligning it properly and recognising stars to do it with lol fingers crossed we will get some good skies and plenty of chatting and learning hopefully :-)

if you can afford one, try and get a red dot finder before the party. I'd recommend a telrad but any is OK really. this with an optical finder makes a massive difference to finding stuff. I think that James is trying to organise small groups of people to show others how to locate things in the sky and also collimation methods. you'll be firing off messiers in no time.

the big question though is what scope will you buy at this year's PSP?   LOL

I have a telrad waiting that I originally got for the golden dob but now I have the skyliner too lol ...... Hopefully won't buy a scope or if I did it would be solar as I have my new 8' goto as well as the 10' dob... Only bringing the goto this year.... Want a cover for the new one and maybe some good eyepieces and a bino viewer :-)

Haha iv only had one go at it myself Shane but it is pretty simple once aligned... That's my little problem as I don't no half the stars names lol..... I want to see as much as I can this year and then can compare what it's like looking at it from home :-/

based on last year, M51 might be slightly tricky as from memory it's in the haze of Buxton. might be doable though if there's no moisture in the air.

Leo will be up but very early a.m. perhaps 4am

worry not though, there's plenty to see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/121703-attempt-at-a-list-of-objects-seen-at-peak-star-party-2011/ is my list from 2011 and I bet you'd see them this year too.

Haha iv only had one go at it myself Shane but it is pretty simple once aligned... That's my little problem as I don't no half the stars names lol..... I want to see as much as I can this year and then can compare what it's like looking at it from home :-/

well, I'll point out some stars, you can then align and then you can brass me off with the 500 objects you've seen at the end of the night :grin:

I don't think I've managed such a list in a month of viewing moonshane

Think the eq mount has a lot to do with it as it's not just point and spot like a good dob which will be my next scope.

All the help and advice on offer from some seasoned campaigners will go down very well cheers and also a few question's about dob building too

I don't think I've managed such a list in a month of viewing moonshane

Think the eq mount has a lot to do with it as it's not just point and spot like a good dob which will be my next scope.

All the help and advice on offer from some seasoned campaigners will go down very well cheers and also a few question's about dob building too

Others will disagree but in my opinion, once you accept that for general visual observing, an alt-az mount is the most intuitive and usable format for a mount (my preference being dobs) and that a red dot finder/RACI finder/star map (or even god forbid GOTO :grin: ) is a good way to find things and then learn your way around a bit, you'll be able to quickly locate objects in the eyepiece. most of the common objects I know intimately (like M31, M13, double cluster, ring nebula etc) I can find quicker than the average goto system. other things unknown to me or things I have rarely visited take a bit longer but not much.

for me that's the fun of it partly and I do like to look at things properly too. that said, at star parties when the good weather is a scarcity, time matters so I think then goto would be a great thing to have available.

if I were you, I'd make a dob base for the 200pds for visual use and keep the eq mount for imaging if you want to do any of that dark art. might be worth thinking about.

well, I'll point out some stars, you can then align and then you can brass me off with the 500 objects you've seen at the end of the night :grin:

Ha, sounds like me and Shane are in the same camp with goto............goto pub, goto shops, goto work, but navigate the night sky old skool way

Will introduce you to my Argo Navis Shane, it's actually a nice halfway house, particularly when time is short or looking under light polluted skies.

Digital setting circles which you can use in a number of flexible ways, including just finding the objects you know yourself if you want too. Nice thing too is that it is silent!!

Stu

the main reason I had wine (as well as liking it) was that if I have lager I'm forever going to the gents and ruining my night vision.

@Stu, stay away from me with your gizmos of the devil :grin:  although I have seen this in action and would be good to see it again on your setup.

@Stu, stay away from me with your gizmos of the devil :grin: although I have seen this in action and would be good to see it again on your setup.

I've long since given up trying to persuade you of the merits of refractors and know that this will be the same :-), another lost cause ;-).

I'm actually from a similar school of thought to you in terms of not wanting loads of gadgets around me and doing things manually. Goto I do have for the mak, but am going to try it on the Giro now I've got the EQ6 tripod.

On a more serious note ;-), if I drink then I shall have no chance of staying awake!! After my disastrous performance at PSP 1, I redeemed myself last year and intend to do the same this year if poss.

Of course if its cloudy then I may just have a little tipple :-).

Stu

ha ha. I know though secretly that as you have 10" OOUK newt you are clearly seeking 'reflector-like views' from your kit so maybe it's you that's doing the conversion to the 'silver side'  :grin: 

yeah, to be fair, I only had the wine in 2011 as it looked like it was set in for the night (the cloud). I'll certainly be zipping your tent door up and down until you wake up if it happens again this year!

Archived