SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Peak Star Party 2013

It's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts! :)

I can't decide whether or not to bring the 5" or the 8"... 5" is very portable and easy to move if I want to set up somewhere other than my tent, AND in a dark site, performs brilliantly, but the 8" is just so impressive in comparison!!! What do I do?

definitely the 8" (or both). there will be lots of people willing to help you move it if required.

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought the 6 inch just so i could easily transport it but also big enough to see plenty and at the time money was tight, i have been really happy with it, i have had some wow moments with Saturn,Jupiter and the Orion nebula but i need to get to a dark site and learn to star hop better and see some more Messiers which besides several attempts i have failed (M81,M82) just two that are supposed to be easy i definitely want to see M51 and the Leo trio if at all possible.

yep! get 23 in the bottom of finder and you'll see an obvious triangle of stars at the other side of it (sigma 1 and 2 and Rho Uma) go left from these about half a finder width and you'll see 24 Uma and companion. the brighter 24 points through its companion roughly straight at M81/82. do this a few times and you'll get them in the eyepiece every time. it sounds worse than it looks in the finder. the stars mentioned are by far the most obvious in the finder and from a dark site you can see the trio (sigma and rho) naked eye. from home it needs averted vision.

yep! get 23 in the bottom of finder and you'll see an obvious triangle of stars at the other side of it (sigma 1 and 2 and Rho Uma) go left from these about half a finder width and you'll see 24 Uma and companion. the brighter 24 points through its companion roughly straight at M81/82. do this a few times and you'll get them in the eyepiece every time. it sounds worse than it looks in the finder. the stars mentioned are by far the most obvious in the finder and from a dark site you can see the trio (sigma and rho) naked eye. from home it needs averted vision.

If i get a clear night before PSP i will try that and let you know how i get on thanks.

Yep, that's the route I use. Once you've learnt it you'll find them immediately. Unfortunately these stars are never visible naked eye to me but its easy enough in binos or the scope.

Stu

to be honest Stu, I should have credited you with this method as it as you that pointed out the bloomin' obvious to me at PSP11 I think it was.

to be honest Stu, I should have credited you with this method as it as you that pointed out the bloomin' obvious to me at PSP11 I think it was.

It possibly was Shane, but that's probably the only star hop I could ever teach you!

Stu

Il my star hop iv tried is to get to the ring nebula lol and that I learnt last year at psp, it's quite hard to do it from where I live though coz of LP.... Need to try learn some this year though :-)

That is the one thing i can find nearly every time took me a while first time but now go straight to it all be it using a Telrad.

Il my star hop iv tried is to get to the ring nebula lol and that I learnt last year at psp, it's quite hard to do it from where I live though coz of LP.... Need to try learn some this year though :-)

yeah, yeah, we all saw it on the telly, you big show off. nothing worse than a celebrity name dropper. :grin:

What's a raci? Iv got a telrad that I need to fit to the scope at some point.....aha Shane it was Craig who found it that time I only learnt it after the filming... They crept up on us when I wan literally having my first look thru the golden cannon lol :-)

ha ha yeah but you completely stole Craig's glory.

RACI = right and correct image - it's like looking through binoculars so everything is the same as the map not upside down and reversed. I should have a spare you can try for a bit if you wanted to see what they are like.

ha ha yeah but you completely stole Craig's glory.

RACI = right and correct image - it's like looking through binoculars so everything is the same as the map not upside down and reversed. I should have a spare you can try for a bit if you wanted to see what they are like.

I always understood it was Right-Angle Correct Image?

I'm nearly finished building an 80mm mega finder at the moment, just need to get a cheap 90 degree prism from somewhere, only got a 45 degree currently.

Stu

Archived