Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My favourite scope

John

I've owned a lot of scopes over the years (25+) but my Skywatcher ED120 Pro is the one I've enjoyed using more than any others I can recall. It seems to put a smile on my face each time I use it :grin:

The "oldie but goldie" style Moonlite dual speed crayford is the latest addition to the scope. The counterweight looks huge but it's just a 5kg one thats closer to the camera !

post-118-0-61769100-1344815608_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say mine is my Astrotech 106mm EDT apo. So easy to use on a Giro mount and such wonderful, crisp and contrasty images. Textbook star images too. Great on anything from planets to the Veil

Stu

Nice set-up John....I assume the 25+ refers to scopes owned as opposed to years observing ;).

So far, as with Jules, my TAL100rs is my favourite scope, and has certainly had more hours than any of the others I have/had. Lovely views, sharp across the field, robust, easy to mount and handle - with just enough light grasp to make things interesting on a range of target types, but brilliant for doubles and planets/moon.

Ive owned quite a few scopes since i got in to astronomy , in fact ive had 3 in the last 8 months :grin: .But i must say the the best by far is my current scope a 12" Orion Optics Dob the optics are a differant class to anything ive ever looked through.

post-12085-0-81868800-1344856971_thumb.j

Needless to say this one is a keeper ( if i buy another my missis will chcuk me out :evil: )

my Skywatcher ED120 Pro is the one I've enjoyed using more than any others I can recall. It seems to put a smile on my face each time I use it :grin:

I think that says a fair bit for the quality of kit that Synta are now producing.

James

John - I have enjoyed observing through some of your scopes over the years. This 120mm frac must be pretty special.

By the way did you install the Moonlite focuser or did it come when you obtain the scope?

Mark

I bought the ED120 from Tony (Whippy) and it came with a decent William Optics dual speed crayford. The Moonlite was on another scope that I have acquired but I decided that the ED120 deserved the better focuser so I've swapped them over. The Moonlite is really very smooth even with heavyweight accessories on board. I've just had to get used to the 1:1 ratio on one side and 8:1 on the other which these older Moonlite units had. I also think the Moonlite looks better on the ED120 and the WO on the other scope but they all look the same in the dark !

...Nice set-up John....I assume the 25+ refers to scopes owned as opposed to years observing ;)......

Yes, sort of. I did have a phase when I went through scopes indecently quickly but I bought my 1st scope back in 1981. I did go through a few years "scopeless" when the children were young but I've made up for lost time since :rolleyes2:

Nice to see others posting their favorites in this thread too :smiley:

Often it's not the largest aperture or most costly scopes that press all the right buttons - there are sometimes emotions involved too !

Often it's not the largest aperture or most costly scopes that press all the right buttons - there are sometimes emotions involved too !

I agree, one of the best scopes i owned was a SW 100ED, really regret getting rid of it. Light and easy to mount with stunning optics.

I agree, one of the best scopes i owned was a SW 100ED, really regret getting rid of it. Light and easy to mount with stunning optics.

I used to have one of the early blue tube ED100's. It's definitely on my "wish I still had it" list :embarrassed:

Thats true. Whilst I will always love the first view of Saturn that I had through my Nexstar 8SE, the TAL100rs is more of a "telescope" for me - it sort of matches the "mental telescope template" I've had since I was a child. There is a "fit" and "feel" to it that I can't describe, but it just feels right to me. I think all my other scopes might come and go, but I can't see the 100rs ever going. I'd be upset if anything were to happen to my other scopes, but I'd be genuinely devastated if anything were to happen to my 100, despite the fact it is the cheapest by some margin and the second smallest in aperture.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Marki what a perfect sentiment, that sums up the 100rs pretty well, its a classic scope still made, a jack of all trades but master of none! A proper telescope to look at, and to look through

Lovely scope John, the Moonlite is the iceing on the cake for an already excellent scope. I would love to own something like that , if for nothing else other than the low power widefield views that only a scope like that can serve up! My favourite scope is my current 12" dob, simply because it is capable of showing me more than any other scope I have owned. In saying that though, like a couple of the guys above I was very fond of the Tal 100rs. I had my best lunar views with that scope and would say it definately punched above its weight.

This is my only scope, its also my favorite scope;

post-25716-133877773192_thumb.jpg

I did have a very public affair with a TAL 100RS, but its over now. I have pimped my little ED100 with a 2" WO Carbon Fibre diagonal and a Baader 2 click clamp. The AZ 4 has had a little mod too with the addition of an extension pier.

Some really beautiful scopes here and it's curious to see that the vast majority are refractors.

On a personal note, I don't have much experience but I have found that nature has composed some of its loveliest poems for the Tal 100rs.

Favorites change with time and experience. for now I guess it would be the little Telementor II refractor I purchased several months ago. It brings a smile to my face every time I look at it; and through it. This is my grab and go scope, even though I have a smaller Mak system.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived