Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My favourite scope

John

my favourite scope is my big dob - 16" f4 OOUK. it does everything I want other than come on holidays (and maybe track objects).

really I should sell my 6" f11 with equatorial platform as the 16" masked to 170mm provides superior views BUT as you say emotion comes into it and I doubt I'd ever find another one so can never bring myself to sell the 6", it's truly excellent too and great for quicker sessions and solar use.

cracking scope John, the Moonlite's look the bizz on the end of a frac.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite scope is actually my most recent acquisition. Initially intended to be my airline portable instrument for trips away, since it arrived I found myself using more than any other scope. Small and quick to set up has resulted in much use.

The APM TMB 105/650 LW on a Tele Optic Giro Ercole Alt Az mount.

post-24651-0-19927700-1347608412_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Love that photo Matthew.

It looks a bigger scope than 105mm.

How does it compare on Planets with your 115?

It is very close. The 115 does shade it just, but under anything but the most absolute pristine skies (i.e stable) the difference is not significant enough for me to spot the difference. I think it speaks volumes for the quality of the lens in the 105 (considering it is f/6.2) versus the slightly longer focal length of the 115.

As far as the scope size, it often fools people into thinking it is a 5" scope. The tube is oversized perhaps (same diameter as the 115), but fortunately the weight including tube rings is a little under 5kg, so still very portable.

Favorites change with time and experience. for now I guess it would be the little Telementor II refractor I purchased several months ago. It brings a smile to my face every time I look at it; and through it. This is my grab and go scope, even though I have a smaller Mak system.

...my Dob doesn't stand a chance against my little teley..

Archived