Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Who has got clear skies predicted for tonight ?

sanmatt

There's a tiny little hole in the clouds that seems to be travelling south down the east coast of Scotland at the moment. But for that it looks like pretty much the entire of mainland Britain is cloud-bound. Northern Ireland looks like it might see a few patches of clear sky this evening, but that looks to be it for the time being.

James

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposed to be clear but in the last hour more cloud, higher winds, cant see hardly any sky and looks like it might rain at any time. Ho hum. I will see later, I'm up for stopping up all night it it would be clear.

Lots of Cloud now, but I've got mixed weather messages, some say partial cloud with some rain, not sure if it's worth leaving the scope out or not for first light...decisions decisions.

Heavy frosts expected tonight and tomorrow so if you do get a chance to go out make sure the scope is wrapped up nice and warm.

How low can the outside temperature go before the glass cracks or breaks? I want to be ultra safe with my new scope :).

EDIT: Googled it, it's not going to happen. :hello2:

My daughter is at a star party in Sidmouth - wall to all cloud tonight when dropped her off. I never realised how cloudy nights are until I started wanting to look upwards!

How low can the outside temperature go before the glass cracks or breaks? I want to be ultra safe with my new scope :).

quite right - you'll crack before the scope does.

Quite so. SGL has members who go out observing at temperatures far lower than we'd ever really expect to see in the UK, so it's really not a big worry. Just leave the scope in a position where moisture will tend not to dry on the optics when you bring it in. It's not uncommon for me to come in at the end of a night in winter with ice all over the scope.

James

Quite so. SGL has members who go out observing at temperatures far lower than we'd ever really expect to see in the UK, so it's really not a big worry. Just leave the scope in a position where moisture will tend not to dry on the optics when you bring it in. It's not uncommon for me to come in at the end of a night in winter with ice all over the scope.

James

Ice must make it fun to carry it.. should I collapse the scope and put the cap on to reduce moisture, or what would you recommend (Skywatcher Heritage 130P)

I've observed in -10c in the UK with snow on the ground and if the air is still it's bearable. I find the present conditions with a wind whipping up my trouser legs much less comfortable. if it clears though, to quote Dragon's Den, 'I'm out'.

Yep we have some members from Canada and North America in the border states and temps there in winter can drop to -30C or lower and they never have issues of cracked lens or mirrors.

Maybe frostbite is a problem for them but not for the scopes.

Archived