NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Who has got clear skies predicted for tonight ?

sanmatt

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well shortly after my last post in this thread it chucked it down for a bit. Now the wind has picked up and not so many gaps in the cloud. Maybe OK for visual but imaging not a chance really, clouds moving too fast not sufficient gap between them. Maybe if I was doing 60 seconds subs it could work but I would have to be at the ready with tarpaulin. The clouds are also a lot thicker and look like they are full of ice just waiting to hurtle down so I'm not going to risk it.

Unless the clouds miraculously vaporize I would imaging anyone south of Sunderland will suffer the same fate.

Was cracking clear sky over edinburgh last night. Was cold and a wee bit blowy but us scots are used to that sort of thing :)

I got out for a wee while and bagged a dissapointing mars, stunning crescented venus showing colour and an excellent saturn with some planetary detail and 3 moons.

All from my little 127 mak.

Cheered me right up :hello2:

Well, the little patch of clear sky that was forecast for tonight has gone. Wall-to-wall cloud and rain for the entire holiday weekend. If this goes on much longer I'll have forgotten what the constellations look like.

James

Dont you just love the british weather, after a gruelling 2 days at work, i waited up till midnight on the chance of clear skies to do some lunar imaging, it cleared but the moon was low and hiding in some tree`s, decided to get some kip and maybe try some solar imaging this morning, still waiting for the sky to clear enough for this, not looking good

The completely clear sky didn't arrive until just after I packed up last night. Venus is just a thin crescent now as it approaches its transit of the sun next month. Mars is looking very small now two months on from opposition, but Saturn was spectacular as always, with five of its moons visible. It's meant to be clear again here tonight, so who knows! Only two more sessions needed this month to beat my April observing total! Boy was it cold last night. I tried the webcam briefly on Saturn, Venus and Mars, but the Moon was hidden behind the house roof, so didn't get a chance to catch that.

I was just about to go out and do the Spring service on the Weapns Carrier when a rather large attack of hail stones changed my mind. What's going on with the weather, this is May. To be fair, it's probably my own fault for buying some Baader Solarfilm last week.

Well blue skies keep peeking through the cloud here today but only for a moment. Met office app is saying clear skies from around 10 ish tonight for 2-3 hours, whether that will happen though is anyone's guess! Since finally getting round to buying a scope last weekend I haven't disliked the weather more than I do now LOL

It shows the cloud is nil pretty much, but something is stopping it being good astro seeing (that signature isn't using data from Meteoblue though), I check all the forecasts, and just hope for one with clear skies :hello2:.

Archived