NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Break In at the Astronomy Centre Todmorden

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hot under the collar: absolutely!! Venting feelings can help, in front of the kids I try to swear in Tomanian (like Adenoid Hinkel in the Great Dictator: "Straffn sect mit fratz aber jauzen takt!"). In clears the air without using any actual bad language.

Did you just call your Mother in law a big bucket of French pox??

That's what the Dutchies do isnt it? Insult each other with medical ailments. Or so I've heard anyway.

Am serisuly hoping these thieves are total idiots and try and flog the stuff on here. If they do we must goad an address out of them and nab them.

With the amount of metal being stolen (copper wires/cables, aluminium road signs, drain covers etc) and sold for scrap at the moment, do you think this may have been the motive for the theft?

With the amount of metal being stolen (copper wires/cables, aluminium road signs, drain covers etc) and sold for scrap at the moment, do you think this may have been the motive for the theft?

I wouldnt of thought it would be worth their while , not a lot to weigh in imo.

New here, but hate to hear news like this!! It sounds like a well planned organised hit to me, you dont just walk in and carry out those items alone so it has to be a gang with a large van/truck.

I do watch Ebay a lot and come across adverts such as this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sky-watcher-telescope-plus-lenses-and-stand-/170837834361?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item27c6ba7a79 and wonder to myself if it really IS an unwanted gift or someones pride and joy thats been stolen out of their gardens.

That ad sounds VERY iffy to me personally, I will keep an eye out for things when Ive noted down the list. Its such a shame when a society such as that comes under attack possibly from an open evening or one new member who had unscrupulous intents.

I hope its all recovered safely.

Daz

Just a reminder guys, as Dazz8se wisely recommended -

If anybody does spot this gear I advise not to shout it out on the forum or stuff but send a PM to Peter himself if the thieves are watching these forums and see the post they could pull the ad before they can be traced !!

Please contact Peter directly with any info / suspicious items.

So sorry to hear of your loss, it must have been gut wrenching!

I lost over $15,000 worth of personal, hard earned possessions back in 91 and have never recovered from the loss. None of my stolen items were of an astronomical nature, but I had no insurance, got forced onto disability not long after and, have never had the funds to replace much of my missing gear. I always said that if I ever found anyone in my house again, they wouldn't be capable of kicking in a door and carrying a TV set. Quite a challenge in a wheelchair I should imagine.

I sincerely hope you get your gear back and they catch and charge the low life scum who took it.

Maybe not a big help but I frequent EBay.au ( Australia) and if I notice anything I'll do my best to contact you.

Hi all,

My first post on here, I'm a visitor to the Astronomy Centre and like all of you I'm gutted for Peter and the A/C that this has taken place, can only say that that since meeting him way back in the early 90s he's been nothing but helpful and a generous bloke along with most of the hardcore members I've met over the years.

There is a feeling that due to the nature of the equipment stolen that it could be somebody actually involved with Astronomy as it seems to have been a "shopping list"

Can only say that if this is the case they must be known to the Astronomy Centre and Peter and maybe a visitor to this forum and many others alike.

Therefore they must hang there heads in utter shame and they are nothing short of a disgrace at carrying out this act that has disgusted many organisation and enthusiasts alike across the U.K

I know I'm clutching at straws but I can only hope that they can find it in themselves to return the equipment ( and my EQ6 Mount ) to the Astronomy Centre, it is of no use or value outside of that it was for.

Pistol

I am from sowerby bridge and originally from todmorden, I will ask around, as I know a lot of people in todmorden. In the mean time I do hope it's returned, I agree also to the mention about a possibility of someone whom has been to the observatory on bacup road, best check out all the new comers etc, as they knew what was stored.

I haven't read all the posts so this may have been already mentioned...

I am sure it's no consolation and you can't replace some of the stuff stolen which were unique - but this centre is for all to enjoy...

Is there in some way SGL can do more - perhaps we should be able to donate via paypal so that at least some items can be replaced? if the insurance is unable to assist in getting the full value of items to the centre....

Anyone checking gumtree or free-ads etc
I am checking Gumtree and Preloved daily, not specifically for this but because I live in hope of finding a telescope that I want but which, seemingly, is no longer made at a price I am willing to pay.

Sadly we do not have insurance cover as it was much too expensive.

The choice is yours - get robbed by the burglars, or get robbed each month by the insurance company (and then get robbed by the burglars)... :-(

Archived