NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Break In at the Astronomy Centre Todmorden

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know people might not want to consider it, but it's entirely possible that it's an astronomer who stole the items.

I think it's very likely from the list of the gear....possibly stolen to order.

Let's be vigilant and catch the scum.

I would imagine that it won't surface for a while, so let's be patient and keep our eyes and ears peeled.

Rob

Thanks for any help that might help this situation. Most of the missing items are my personal possessions, some irreplaceable. Regardless of this, I'm always prepared to face this risk to make equipment available to those interested in astronomy. And will continue to do so.

So far, the list comprises:-

Unique 6" F8 refracting Binocular telescope

Unique 6" F8 reflectng binocular telescope

12" Meade LX200 OTA

6" F8 black Helios refractor modded Ha scope

6" F8 blue Skywatcher refractor

3 Coronado PST bodies

2 black EQ6 mounts

1 white EQ6 Pro mount

The forum has never, I think, heard of a worse act than this but nor has it ever seen a more inspiring post than the one quoted above. Bravo, Peter. Your work and your reaction are magnificent.

Has the list of items been sent to UK ABS?

I have an example of one minor item on the list. If you would like it I will donate it immediately and send it. PM sent.

Olly

I know I would suffer depression, anger, sadness, vindictiveness, an eye for an eye and more... What can I say but trust to fortune that some if not all is recovered and the "what would you call them " are caught and dealt with. This equipment is anywhere in the UK right now but the eyes are peeled.

Good Luck Peter. Keep your chin up.

I'm really sorry to read this notice! Although it probably won't help (I live in Spain) I've printed out the list and will keep my eyes peeled. Let's hope we can track down some of the equipment!

My best wishes, Peter.

Qualia

I just can't comprehend why people would target an observatory of all places? I mean, surely there are plenty of places with higher value goods, this is just targeting peoples' hobbies and enjoyment, now that's low.

Sounds like a 'steel to order' job to me.

Sorry to here about the loss and let's hope it all turns up.

I've just marked all mine with smart water, just in case, and would advise everyone else to do the same.

I just can't comprehend why people would target an observatory of all places? I mean, surely there are plenty of places with higher value goods, this is just targeting peoples' hobbies and enjoyment, now that's low.

Why target an observatory - isolated, it is an observatory after all, and full of expensive equipment. Also I guess that whoever did it was shown round a few times on public observing evenings.

I suspect that on evenings with the public a few asked about the cost of such things if they bought one?

Even where do you keep these when it is all packed away ?

It is amazing how a question that seems innocent may not be.

What security was in place? Being an observatory we tend to not have big security lights that come on automatically. Any cameras?

Do you have any identification numbers, or similar, from the equipment? These will be required for any identification.

Sad indeed...

If not already mentioned before it's likely the person/s that did this will let things cool off before trying to pass on.

Consider also local car boot sales over the coming weeks, maybe someone selling on as their own or ...on behalf of a friend, items may be hard to prove ownership without invisible marking or noted serial numbers.

Mike

Sorry to hear of the this theft Peter, I'll certainly keep my eyes open and if local gladly retrieve and chop off fingers. My only concern is that due to our hobby/interest being quite niche that the tea leaves have actually robbed for themselves rather than the market.

I do hope your able to replace your items without too much hassle but would really like to think you will be reunited with whats been taken.

Best wishes to all,

Chris:icon_salut:

Archived