NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did you see the show?

stolenfeather

The annual Lyrid meteor shower peeked tonight. The news stated that many astronomers would be "giddy with excitement" at the show. I wanted to be "giddy". Truly I really did but I have tried many times to become excited about watching a meteor shower but have always come out disappointed. Tonight was no different.

I saw a couple but was more mesmerized by Venus (showing its beautiful crescent), Saturn and Mars. The meteors were a nice addition but according to me,.. that's not where the show was held!

Maybe one day I will be more enthusiastic about meteor showers, ....

Isabelle

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The odd gap but mainly cloud and rain and hail all yesterday and last night.

I was really lucky with the Sun yesterday, took the scope out, took some images after a long wait for a gap, took it back in, and I had *just* got it in when an inch of hail dumped down on Scarborough. Big hail too (for UK) some about 1cm across. The main road was like a skating rink.

Fantastic prom yesterday... see solar imaging section for some folks images, will load mine probably later or tomorrow.

Think the clouds may have cleared a bit here but I was going to up sleep when I saw a few stars through a window. Didn't stay up.

I usuallyfind that all these spectacular showers are disappointing. Have we sucked in all the meteors ?:(:D:D

Talking about Venus, I am surprised at how much natural light pollution it produces...it's a BRIGHT planet!

Sorry, you cannot complain about Venus producing light pollution! :):eek:

Next it will be that a combination of Betelguese and Mars create light pollution in the red band and upset long exposure images. :D:icon_scratch::)

Was completely cloud-free in Reading last night - saw a couple of good ones during moments when I wasn't concentrating on Saturn (though I suspect every time I put my eye to the eyepiece there was a spectacular lyrids show going on behind me!!)

I was only out until about 1am and only saw 1 :D

We had plenty of cloudy patches and I was mainly taking advantage of the lack of moonlight to go galaxy hunting with the Dob though.

I was out for at least three hours until around 2am, but didn't see a single one despite setting off imaging runs for Mars and Saturn and then just lying back watching the sky until they completed.

It's always a pleasure to see them, knowing what they are and what they might be carrying with them, but I think the only time I'd get pant-wettingly excited about them is if one landed in my garden.

James

Archived