Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

e-petition - stargazing

Jammy

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to start somewhere. Yes I sign up for it. However, to be taken seriously we must individually poll our MP's, and perhaps collectively if we get enough people to sign up. Our total numbers are quite small, we should link up with the big boys.

I live near the centre of a small town near the sea

Quite lucky in that the street lights in the side street near my garden get switched off at midnight every night. The ones a block away on a main road seem to keep every other one on, I think our council does it to save money though, hopefully it will become the norm for the future when the economy recovers

Woah - nice post!

Maybe you could do something then if your so knowledgeable? Instead you criticise someone that has actually done something even if there are faults with their wording.

Ant

No, it wasn't a nice post & for that I apologise.

However, it remains that half of the aims of the petition simply aren't achievable. 100K signatures means that it could be debated in the house not that it will be & having such fuzzy aims almost guarantees that it won't be.

So enough with the criticism and I will make a suggestion for an amended petition instead.

Something along the lines of:

Dear Government,

It may have come to your attention that there has been a successful trial in Hampshire, which involved lowering the intensity of street-lighting in low-crime areas - 75 per cent of their full capacity from sunset to midnight, and from 5am to sunrise, and at 50 per cent of full capacity between midnight and 5am.

The county council estimates that if rolled out across the whole county, it will bring carbon emissions down by 27 per cent from 26,000 metric tonnes of CO2 to 19,000 tonnes.

Would the Government consider rolling out this initiative to the entire country.

Lots of love,

Stargazers everywhere

Simple & achievable

There. I'll butt out now.

edit: LINK

Signed and shared on FB.

I had a chat with the nice lady that deals with street lighting in Quedgeley (where I live), they are just going through consultation with the local parish council about getting as many lights as possible dimmed or switched to part night lighting. I think the current plan is only for about 300 of the 1,700 lights to be switched off from midnight to 5.30am, but it is a start. Definitely a step in the right direction and I am giving the scheme my full support and making as much noise as possible about it.

Well done Gloucester Council! Turn off as many lights as possible please.

Signed it a few weeks ago.. Sadly for Blackpool it'll probably be of little effect :icon_salut: If it's not the illuminations its those megawatt lasers shooting miles into the sky..

From Wikipedia on Blackpool Illuminations by the great man..

"In October 2007, a laser beam installed on the tower for the duration of the annual Illuminations was criticized by Astronomer and presenter of The Sky at Night television programme, Patrick Moore who said, "Light pollution is a huge problem. I am not saying we should turn all the lights out, that is not practical, but there are some things which are very unnecessary. The Blackpool Tower light is certainly something I do not think we should be doing. I very much oppose it." The beam could be seen 30 miles away. Moore called for the beam to be stopped. The Centre for Astrophysics at the University of Central Lancashire in Preston said the laser has added to a spiraling problem affecting astronomy"

Woah - nice post!

Maybe you could do something then if your so knowledgeable? Instead you criticise someone that has actually done something even if there are faults with their wording.

Ant

Ditto. If we gave up at the first hurdle because we didn't think we'd succeed, then the human race would never have left the caves.

SIGNED!

Alexxx

Archived