Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to meeting you all, and renewing old acquaintances.

Is there a fish and chip shop, and supermarket nearby?

Oh, and when I was at the Salisbury star Party last October there was unexpected clear skies and aurora in the early hours following heavy rain when many of us had given up and gone to bed.

Since the Sun is very active at the moment you just never know, so can we make it a rule that any-one seeing aurora say after midnight goes round the camp shouting to wake up any-one who night have gone to bed. I was pretty disappointed to have slept through it last time. You can always go back to sleep if you're not interested.

Yes I know I have just seen it in Iceland, but you can never get enough of a good thing.

Carole

Looking forward to meeting you all, and renewing old acquaintances.

Is there a fish and chip shop, and supermarket nearby?

Oh, and when I was at the Salisbury star Party last October there was unexpected clear skies and aurora in the early hours following heavy rain when many of us had given up and gone to bed.

Since the Sun is very active at the moment you just never know, so can we make it a rule that any-one seeing aurora say after midnight goes round the camp shouting to wake up any-one who night have gone to bed. I was pretty disappointed to have slept through it last time. You can always go back to sleep if you're not interested.

Yes I know I have just seen it in Iceland, but you can never get enough of a good thing.

Carole

Last year I found a fish and chip shop just inside Hereford on the road that leads into the town from the campsite. It's only about 15 mins drive. Also, there is a small spar type of shop in the village.

Hi Carole,

There is a pub in Mordiford called The Moon Inn, the natives were very welcoming and friendly, the food was better than good. They do a number of fish dishes.

A few of us used the pub in the late afternoon/early evening last year.

There is a shop in Fownshop village which is a 1.5 to 2 miles south of the site. It has a reasonable selection of the items, definitely be able to cook a good meal from stuff there.

I was however disappointed, because they did not stock my favourite 'Arrods cavier!!!

The campsite shop has a range of basic items bread, milk, cans of things plus sweets, chocolate and they will get you a newspaper if ordered the day before.

Trust the above helps, I will have Jaffa Cakes................

Cheers

Adrian

When I visited the site a few weeks ago with Daz the new cafe/kitchen looked very impressive. I will go over to the site, maybe towards the end of next week to get an idea what they are likely to provide. I will mention that some of you want a breakfast.

Adrian mentioned the Moon Inn which changed hands since SGL6. Some comments from the locals was not very good.

Carole (carastro) requested info on a fish and chip shop and supermarkets. There are F and C shops both on the south side of Hereford and the East side not that far from Lucksall. With regard to Supermarkets you have 2 Tescos, Sainsburys, Asda, Lidl, Aldi and Morrisons.

I will be visiting Lucksall to see the early birds on Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th. I will also be on site for the whole of Thursday 22nd. Unfortunately I am then away from Hereford for the remainder of SGL7.

If anyone wants info just ask me.

Look forward to meeting former and new friends.

Regards

Mark

I don't know but we normally organise food so that everyone can have eaten and the caterers can have packed up before it gets dark.

My guess would be about 5pm - 6pm or thereabouts. If you need something more accurate, you'll have to wait tiill Daz comes along.

Mike

Hi all

Going back to the red sheet for laptop screens, most if not all Planetarium programs have a facility for night vision is this still to bright ?

The problem can be that often they don't change everything to red, as well as being quite bright. So red film greatly reduces the risk of you annoying your neighbours :)

Helen

The problem can be that often they don't change everything to red, as well as being quite bright. So red film greatly reduces the risk of you annoying your neighbours :D

Helen

This is so true. I recall at the last SGL star party just pressing the little button that illuminates my watch made the dial stand out like a sore thumb :hello2:

I often wonder how folks can use mobiles with apps and keep their dark adaptation :)

Archived