SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

I think I may need a little help with my new 200p, to check if it's collomated, I think I have become a little obsessed with collomation, and a little afraid to touch it, but First light with it (seems like ages ago) things seemed to me not to look quite right, ie couldn't get pin point stars.

So any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I may need a little help with my new 200p, to check if it's collomated, I think I have become a little obsessed with collomation, and a little afraid to touch it, but First light with it (seems like ages ago) things seemed to me not to look quite right, ie couldn't get pin point stars.

So any help would be appreciated.

If you are looking at bright stars, you will see diffraction spikes rather than pinpoints anyway, so if that's what you were seeing it's probably not a problem.

My SGL7 targets... galaxies :)

NGC4676 - the mice :)

NGC3344

M86 series - very interested in NGC4438 in this set

Sombrero Galaxy - old favourite

M100

NGC 4567 and NGC 4568, siamese twins

M58 barred galaxy

M33 Triangulum

I may try something else but it all depends on clouds/time/seeing.

Remember to bring NickK some beer for helping convince the Mrs that an NEQ6 is a worthwhile purchase :)

What's your preference sir?

Hehe! I shall be bringing enough - a couple bottles of red wine, beer and some Katy cider :)

Thanks Rik,yes you are right but they seem a bit elongated or stretched if you know what I mean. I just need somebody to have a look through to see if it's ok.

No problem :) I'm there from Wednesday night through to Sunday, so if you don't get it sorted before, I'll pop over for a quick squint if you like.

Andy,

Great to hear that you intend to arrive before it gets dark.

As you will be leaving after dark..... it is essential that you park close to the Reception building.

You and your Dad are welcome to view through my 10" Dob with a variety of eyepieces.

I can be found at pitch 1 Kingfisher....

Have a safe drive.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks for the info Adrian. Will make sure we park there. :)

And a peak through your Dob would be great.. (thank you sooo much)

Cant wait to meet you all.

Andy

I would like in on the collimating crowd please guys. Pretty happy with what I can achieve and have been doing it for a while. Nothing beats talking and going through with it with other people though.

Was there any update on the availability of the on-site cafe? opening times etc

If I can get food there then I'll have more room for beer in the car and I'll be less likely to poison myself.

I like your thinking ....

Hi Andy,

I am your neighbour at SGL 7.

Do you know what time on Friday you are planning to arrive?

As I arrive at Lucksall on Monday, I have to move my tent after 4 nights....... so if I can move my tent before you arrive it will give you more room to erect your tent.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Kev,

There is no mention of the Cafe ? on the Lucksall campsite website.....

I am bringing enough food for day one and reviewing the situation on site.

I can now pack a distillery....

Cheers

Adrian

It was mentioned on another sgl7 thread Adrian but you are right there is no reference on the website

SGL Galaxy challenge

I like to set myself some targets for the star parties. Last year I tried to see as many galaxies as possible with an 80mm set of binoculars!

This year I am trying to see a selection of the brightest galaxies visible at this time of year with my refurb project 110mm reflector..

I have attached the pdf of the list in case you want to try it as well. The idea is to try to score as high as possible by spotting the galaxies. No prizes but do let me know how you get on..Noo cheating with apertures over 110mm!

Enjoy

Mark (the galaxy hunter)

Stargazers lounge galaxy challenge.pdf

SGL weather forecast

Latest long range charts indicate high pressure establishing itself during SGL week. So we can expect a dry week with generally light winds by the weekend. Very difficult to forecast cloud cover but it looks like things will gradually improve as the week goes on.

Seeing is likely to be good with still air over the UK but transparancy is likely to be poor with a block of static air gathering air pollution...

Temperatures should be mild or warm (14c) in sunshine but may drop away to around 5c on clear nights.

Regards

Mark

www.bristolweather.org.uk

Hi Andy,

I am your neighbour at SGL 7.

Do you know what time on Friday you are planning to arrive?

As I arrive at Lucksall on Monday, I have to move my tent after 4 nights....... so if I can move my tent before you arrive it will give you more room to erect your tent.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

We should be arriving around lunchtime on the Friday.

See you then,

Andrew

Regarding collimation, I have packed my tools but wont be taking a Newt, and am happy to help out where necessary, especially astronomy newcomers. I prefer to collimate in daylight, and will be busy hopefully if it is clear at night, so give me a shout either Friday or Saturday daytime.

I'll be the one being towed around the dog walk by a big black lurcher and a brown collie. Best to wait till the dogs are away though, they are not friendly!

SGL Galaxy challenge

I like to set myself some targets for the star parties. Last year I tried to see as many galaxies as possible with an 80mm set of binoculars!

This year I am trying to see a selection of the brightest galaxies visible at this time of year with my refurb project 110mm reflector..

I have attached the pdf of the list in case you want to try it as well. The idea is to try to score as high as possible by spotting the galaxies. No prizes but do let me know how you get on..Noo cheating with apertures over 110mm!

Enjoy

Mark (the galaxy hunter)

Could do the quick and dirty photo each after finding by hand :)

NickK. If you do I will add them as thumbnail images for the 2013 star party!

Another interesting thing to get people to do would be to consider my ease to see rating on each and see if I have the 2,3,4 rating right in each case...

Mark

Mark

Archived