Narrowband

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mat, John, Helen and Rik for your kind offers. I am sure I will take you up on them!

Everyone is most welcome to swing by my dad and I day and night (provided we are awake!). We weren't too sociable at our last -and first- star party so it would be great to make some friends and memories at this one.

We shall be bringing a 200p Dob, Coronado PST, 2 binoculars and perhaps the Tal 100rs to re evaluate/sell :)

Kev great information, thanks for all of that.

Jabberwoky you are welcome to look through mine and also try out eyepieces you may want to bring etc. Might be a bit pointless against Keith's solarmax 60 (I would love to sneak a look through :) )

I've got a gaping hole in my EP collection that stretches right from my 7mm t1 Nagler to the 16mm Meade series 5000.

So, if anyone fancies bringing a super/ultra wide EP in that gap (especially around 9 or 12mm - I keep coming back to a Meade 8.8 UWA on vfm basis) over to my pitch to get a feel for what I want, I'll gladly share the views

(if you don't have an EP you're still welcome too btw)

How about a 13mm Ethos and a 1.6 barlow aswell :)

Of course, but you are wicked... I try so hard to avoid those things - I know they'll end up costing me a fortune. I shall go to bed now dreaming of green on black.

That's just sown another seed... anyone got a good quality 2x barlow I can try? My Meade 5000 SWAs at 24mm & 16mm would come out at 8 & 12 :)

that's convenient, you're next door to me :)

I'll be the one feeling inadequate with the 4" refractor :icon_salut:

Kev, being several tens of meters apart.. the resulting size of a 4" owner's array will be far larger :)

Of course, but you are wicked... I try so hard to avoid those things - I know they'll end up costing me a fortune. I shall go to bed now dreaming of green on black.

That's just sown another seed... anyone got a good quality 2x barlow I can try? My Meade 5000 SWAs at 24mm & 16mm would come out at 8 & 12 :)

1.25" or 2" focuser? If it's 2" I may be able to help out.

I've got a gaping hole in my EP collection that stretches right from my 7mm t1 Nagler to the 16mm Meade series 5000.

So, if anyone fancies bringing a super/ultra wide EP in that gap (especially around 9 or 12mm - I keep coming back to a Meade 8.8 UWA on vfm basis) over to my pitch to get a feel for what I want, I'll gladly share the views

(if you don't have an EP you're still welcome too btw)

I have a Meade 4000 8.8 UWA, actually belongs to my brother in law, so not for sale but you're welcome to have a look / lend for the night.

I have a Meade 4000 8.8 UWA, actually belongs to my brother in law, so not for sale but you're welcome to have a look / lend for the night.

Lovely cheers. :)

I'd love to try the 5000 & the Japanese 4000 side by side if anyone has the 5000 version (I find my 5000 SWAs have the edge over my 32mm 4000 SWA off axis but I hear such good things about the original UWAs)

Kev, being several tens of meters apart.. the resulting size of a 4" owner's array will be far larger :)

I'll be on the next row with my 4" F15 so that'll add to the array.

I never feel inadequate with my 4" F15, the focal length makes up for any feelings of apeture inadequacy :)

Phil

1.25" or 2" focuser? If it's 2" I may be able to help out.

Yes, it's got a 2" focuser - I do have a 2" 2x barlow but I never found the view great so have assumed it's not very good. One of the reasons for trying one is for looking through another known good 'un before shelling out in case it's just that I don't like barlows. Mind you I never had problems with the view through my Meade 5x Telextender on my Megrez 88 (even used it on a 7mm Nagler on the moon one really clear night) but now the Megrez has gone and my current scopes, with 1.6m & 1.25m F/Ls aren't really suited to 5x!

The 1.25m is an ETX90 and is my grab and go so in the long run would want a barlow to work on that too and that is 1.25" only. Not that I'm averse to 2" - would rather buy the best for the dob and maybe look at another for the ETX later if I can find a really good 2"

I can add my 102 SLT into the 4" owners array. Throw in a bit of interferometry and it'll be the biggest scope on this side of the galaxy. I'll also be bringing the 5" Mak. Hopefully, my brother will turn up with his 8" Dob on the Saturday.

Archived