Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

The llamas go without saying...

New llamas get L-plates! | Dudley Zoological Gardens

...but they also have big cats and chimps.

(No killer whale any more, thank god).

So, if I was to compete in any way with Psycho's majestic hat, I would have to make a hat with a castle, a killer whale, a Newcomen engine (as housed at the Black Country museum), one of Mad O'Rourke's cow pies and a photo of Lenny Henry.

I'll get me coat...

:):)

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe "Cuddles" was the first of his kind on public display in Europe. Apparently there were no regulations on how Cetaceans should be kept in captivity until 1988, or so my son tells me. He is training to work in a zoo.

So, if I was to compete in any way with Psycho's majestic hat, I would have to make a hat with a castle, a killer whale, a Newcomen engine (as housed at the Black Country museum), one of Mad O'Rourke's cow pies and a photo of Lenny Henry.

I'll get me coat...

you forgot the lucky rabbits foot from a 5 foot rabbit :icon_scratch:

I'll get me coat...

Perhaps you can have a local history on a hat project with the kids in school - maybe as multicultural 21st century alternative to the "easter" bonnet...

Peter...

I remember seeing Cuddles in the moat when I was young. Looking back, it was no where near big enough for him.

They also used to walk the elephant around amongst the visitors - apparently it put its trunk out to me when I was a baby. I wonder if that would be allowed now?

Dudley Zoo has a much better reputation for treating animals well now.

Any way, I don't want to turn this into the Dudley Zoo thread. :)

I blame Billy's hat!

Perhaps you can have a local history on a hat project with the kids in school - maybe as multicultural 21st century alternative to the "easter" bonnet...

Peter...

Good idea, oh Psychodelic One!

I'd love to get hold of one of the Skylab Protection Helmets. They date from July 1979 when the Skylab space station re-entered the atmosphere. Photo below and here is the original caption:

"Brad Rudolph, a Denver representative for the Seat-of-the-Pants Management Company sold more than 4,000 of these poster-board helmets, complete with an "early warning spike" claiming to provide .00193 nanoseconds of warning before Skylab hits its wearer"

post-12764-133877741795_thumb.jpg

Took the tent into work today to check it was all there and hadn't rotted away...and also make sure I could put it up on my own if neccesary...

The concrete floor made it a beggar of a job to get the pegs in... The Boss is away skiing all week so it can stay up for a few days to haev an airing...

SGL7%20Tent1.JPG

SGL%20Tent2.JPG

Hi Kev,

Glad to see that you have a stand-in tent for this year's SGL 7.

Outwell tents are very good.

I have a Trout Farm 4 polycotton tent. It is warmer in winter and cooler in the summer than the complete nylon tents.

The only disadvantage of this tent is that it takes time to put up and pack about. It comes in two bags at approx 18 kgs each!!!

But, I believe this is a small price to pay for a week's comfortable camping in Springtime.

I have a Quasar mountain tent as well, which is brilliant in the Scottish mountains but not suitable for 7 nights at SGL 7.

Being able to stand up in a tent during a Star Party is a valuable asset, especially at my age !!!!!!

See you there.

Cheers

Adrian

Well, the prepartion has begun. :)

Last night I plugged in my HEQ5 Pro mount and checked all the leads and battery pack work okay - All good so far. At the weekend I'll test that I have all the relevant software loaded and running okay on my laptop and test it out with the mount to make sure all is functioning correctly. I'll try to get find the time to do an 'all up' test with the whole imaging rig to iron out any issues.

I'll be bringing along my mobile rig of 80ED and 66ED scopes on the HEQ5 Pro mount. The 66ED scope has a removable SM40 Ha filter for solar observing/imaging. I'm also bringing my new 15x70 bins for open cluster/galaxy spotting when the imaging rig is running. :)

I'll also put together an observing list (probably the same as last year's).

Will we have wi-fi available like last year?

Ughhh...that sounds like typing...can't I just click something? I can use a few software packages, but I have no idea what creatures live inside the box making it work (or not!)

I will figure it out one day :D

I wish I was going and reading this thread makes me a tad jealous :)

But while you're all freezing your extremities off I'll be here with 30 degree water temps....So I'll be having a little drinky thinking of you all... :headbang:

But TE-LES-SCOPE-LESS, Can't possibly think of a worse holiday:eek::D:eek: Well enjoy Thailand but not too much:D:D:D

But TE-LES-SCOPE-LESS, Can't possibly think of a worse holiday:eek::D:eek: Well enjoy Thailand but not too much:D:D:D

I'm off there in the summer to visit the in-laws, who retired there after getting fed up with the weather in North Wales. I shall be taking a small peep-o-scope with me as a carry-on.

Archived