Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keeping warm whilst observing.

Cjg

It's not been that cold yet, so just my normal wear with a coat and a Stargazers Lounge beanie. Coldest we've had is a mild -0.1C.

If it is colder (say -5C or below) normal clothes with my pj's underneath, 2 pairs of socks and a pair of gloves, then coat hat and, maybe a scarf. That has the added benefit of it being quick to get into bed when you've finished as well.

Perhaps not the best advice, but I found that eating lots of mice pies helps too! Since I put a few stones on, I've not really felt the cold through my additional 'blubber' - small surface area in comparison to mass means less heat loss, like whales!

MICE PIES:eek:

Well I gues if you have to catch them, you'll keep warm!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you really suffer in the cold check these guys out...pricey, but they do supply to some rather well known polar explorers/ nutters

Sub-Zero Clothes - Extreme Winter Clothing, Cold Weather Clothing

;)

That is a joke website isn't it :)

Look at this from them - £1100 for a jacket ;) especially when you can get it here for just over £200. Certainly seems the same jacket.

Paul

Hands up that I'm a "southern softy" emigrated from London to Norfolk; but the fast few clear nights haven't just been cold, they've been blinking freezing. How do you keep warm outside in what is a sedentary hobby?

Chris

I was out for a longer session last night (2-3 degrees centigrade) and noticed that this is really an issue. Hadn't thought that much about it as I'm usually not suffering that much from cold weather when outside (and probably unconsciously assuming that my Swedish descent would have immunized me to these ailings..) Next time I'll follow the advice of our snowmobile guide on Svalbard when asked what to wear for the tour in -30 degrees: "Everything" - meaning literally all the clothes we could possibly put on.

Probably you can't have too much clothes on when you are sitting down observing but if you put too much on it will be quite uncomfortable during the "setup phase" when moving around.

By the way, last thing that happened before packing up my things last night was that a farmer stopped by to check what I was doing. I realized then that I was so cold that I was almost shaking and couldn't really speak without stuttering. He was very friendly but I might have made quite a strange impression on him sitting in my red ski jacket on a field. He's opening comment was "First I though you were Santa Claus sitting on a chair by the side of the road".

I've been amazed at the poor clothing that I have observed many astronomers wearing during the recent cold nights.

As someone who has spent many years enjoying the great outdoors, especially in winter - some of which as a member of a mountain rescue team and a search dog handler, I have amassed quite a lot of experience of keeping warm. My first piece of advice would be DO NOT WEAR JEANS. They have absolutely no insulating properties.

From the bottom up: Generally, I recommend layering, but some new socks I bought lately have been superb - these are "Heat Holders" which cost around £8 from Yeomans (I got them on a 3 for 2 offer). What is very important is that footware shouldn't be tight. If your shoes/boots are tight then you will lose insulation. Not for everyone, my boots are Meindl mid calf heavy leather (I need them to support an unstable ankle) - with the aformentioned socks, no cold feet ever!!

Trousers - you can go down the layering route of longjohns etc, but I find the lined trousers from Regatta are excellent.

Upper body - here I stick to layering. A close-fitting fleece base layer from Craghoppers, then a reasonably thick fleece jacket, all covered by a decent waterproof/windproof jacket which comes down to mid thigh level - I use the Keela Kandura Tactical. I have spent hours out in the freezing weather in this gear and while others around me have complained of the cold, I have been as warm as toast.

On my hands I wear fingerless mitts - plenty around and very cheap.

Okay, so it's not the cheapest gear, but to be comfortable no matter how cold the night makes it worthwhile.

How about a webcam

A 10M USB lead

A sofa in the living room with a laptop!

And a small family member to pop out and change the eyepieces?

I am planning on using my ski gear, I have an all in one suit and thermals.

If that fails I have a diving undersuit, which is called a " woolly bear", which I will put on under the ski suit.

My cold weather gear consists of the following :-

1 - An all-in-one fishing suit. It's like walking about in a sleeping bag with arms & legs, when I've got that bad boy on I never feel the cold & I'm always nice & snug!;)

Admittedly I don't look too cool but so what, I'm not wearing it to be cool after all!

2 - A 'Buff' which is multi functional headwear & protects my face from the cold chills in the air. You can buy them or other similar items in most outdoor shops.

3 - Freezer gloves which I get from my brother who works in a supermarket. They keep your hands warm & are very thin so I can still use Laptops, phones & can turn small dials & screws on the telescope when setting up, aligning & putting away.

4 - Thermal socks, hiking boots & a woolly hat.

I also like to take a nice big flask of hot chocolate, it always goes down a treat!

Jeff

That is a joke website isn't it ;)

Look at this from them - £1100 for a jacket ;) especially when you can get it here for just over £200. Certainly seems the same jacket.

Paul

May or may not be of interest but I've spoken to the importers or said garments and these cheaper discount ones are fakes. Confirmed by CG too. Happy to pm contacts details if you wish to confirm.

I couldn't believe the brass neck of the company offering such copies. I don't own any CG...not needed really as -12 is as cold as I've been observing, but still makes you wonder how much other 'branded' knock offs there are kicking about.

May or may not be of interest but I've spoken to the importers or said garments and these cheaper discount ones are fakes. Confirmed by CG too. Happy to pm contacts details if you wish to confirm.

I couldn't believe the brass neck of the company offering such copies. I don't own any CG...not needed really as -12 is as cold as I've been observing, but still makes you wonder how much other 'branded' knock offs there are kicking about.

Yep, the site with the jacket for £200 is the joke website! They're selling knockoffs, no different to your average £20 Rolex. I won't be paying £1000 for a CG but neither will I pay £200 to somebody trying to steal other peoples commercial property with a shoddily made copy.

Yep, the site with the jacket for £200 is the joke website! They're selling knockoffs, no different to your average £20 Rolex. I won't be paying £1000 for a CG but neither will I pay £200 to somebody trying to steal other peoples commercial property with a shoddily made copy.

Me neither....a bit too extreme me thinks! I have purchased some of their 800g merino socks (woolpower) for Jen though. She suffers badly with cold feet so a treat was those socks and some Sorel caribou boots (1/2 size larger) should see her toasty.

I bought a suit from the Army and Navy Stores which is fully waterproof, stitched with sealed seams, full zipped in quilted lining and weighs about the same as a sleeping bag rolled up, cold for the first 5 minutes of putting on but after that is as snug as a bug in a rug.

The secret to all this, as Shrek tells us, is LAYERS ;)

Even with the 10m USB cable, or Obsy, you will need to be outside.... for prolonged periods :)

Use what you have- someone mentioned fishing gear, great, just put lots of layers underneath.

I'm into dinghy sailing and have a drysuit. I can put that over any clothing I like, the feet are sealed rubber sock-like extensions of the suit. I tend to go for a running/hiking long-sleeve top, a fleece, the dry suit and a top coat (last one just for the pockets ;)). Over the rubber-feet I have some Sealskinz socks, waterproof (from my cycling obsession).

I wear a Skinfit running beanie under a thicker Ospreys Rugby one (c'mon the boys!!), don't forget yer bonce!

Who says a fella can have too many hobbies :)

I've got whats called a 'freezer suit', commonly used in cold storage/freezer areas, apparently it will keep me alive for 1/2 an hour @ -30c ;) In real life testing a couple of years back I can be out in -5 temperatures with boxer shorts and a t-shirt on underneath the freezer suit ;)

I totally agree with Jamespel's and have the same clothing setup but I find that it does spoil the evening a little with the 'noise' these clothes make - all that 'swosh- swoshinging' every time you move! ;):D The other thing, is that all these layers (as great as they are) mean that you do have to plan any toilet breaks, don't want to have to hurry undoing that lot! A combination of numb fingers - multiple layers - and the urge to 'draw' in the snow would be fitting for any Carry On sketch!;):D:D

Would definitely recommend Stargazers beanie hat as it certainly does the job and one tip I have used for the feet and that is to stand on one of those cheap rubber car mats - certainly helps those toes stay warm.

James

• 1 month later...

I use a "Dew Liner" one piece suit orginally made for the Candian Airforce Technicians.

The label in the suit says 60degF to -40deg F and it is very warm, I orginally bought it for gliding in.

A one piece suit, not bulky, multi zips for putting on over boots etc.

I got one of ebay for £12 best buy ever:hello2:

Craig

hi guys im in a wheelchair and because i cant move about as much i feel the cold alot so got the boxes out the loft to find my old sniper sleeping bag they are designed so the less clothes you have on the warmer you are, back in my army days i slept in one of these at -8 fully naked and it was warmer than been in bed under my dovet they have sleves and the leg part can be tied up so you can walk around highly recomend them and they only cost about the same as a good set of thermals German Army Sleping Bag from Surplus and Outdoors / Sleeping Bags

Quadrantid Garments as worn by myself at Aberdeen Astro Soc's DSS:

Sub-Inner wool socks

Inner wool socks

Thermal hiking socks

Longs

trousers

ARCO -45degC certified thermal overtrousers

Vest

T-shirt

thermal shirt

fleece

thermal scarf

Goretex Berghaus jacket c/w fleece

NorthFace gloves/bunnet

...sat on cushioned moon-lounger in three layers of thick bubble wrap. While the -10oC frost crusted on top, I was very warm indeed. Wonderful!

Archived