SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Keeping warm whilst observing.

Cjg

Hands up that I'm a "southern softy" emigrated from London to Norfolk; but the fast few clear nights haven't just been cold, they've been blinking freezing. How do you keep warm outside in what is a sedentary hobby?

Chris

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High Chris, in a word - layers. Lots of 'em too.

OK, here's what works for me.

3 pairs of socks, 1 pair extra long & thick. Snow boots.

Thin track suit bottoms + jeans + larger track suit bottoms.

T shirt + thin woolly + thicker woolly + extra thick woolly + large jacket with lots of pockets for red torch, glasses, eyepieces etc.

Balaclaver hat with a long section that tucks under a scarf.

Gloves.

Flask of hot coffee.

Yes, I can drive and move around in that lot !

I was at my clubs dark site on the Essex marshes last Sunday, had a great night too, and the cold wasn't a problem.

Regards, Ed.

Edit - I got the balaclaver hat from the "Betterwear" catalogue that gets put through our door. All woolies are long, so they tuck well into jeans etc, and the outer track suit bottoms have braces to stop any gaps around my waist.

Hi Chris,

Norfolk is still positively balmy compared to here "up North"!

the simple answer to keeping warm is layers, a good thermal base layer being critical for me. Fingerless gloves and a decent fleece beanie style hat as well. I usually have a flask of sweet tea which provides instant warmth and avoids the need to loose dark adaptation by popping in to make a brew.

if you have alot of metal exposed then use velcro bands to enable you to handle bare areas without your hands sticking to them because of the cold (this is only really an issue if you dont wear some form of gloves).

My Dob is a PVC tube and a wooden rocker therefore i dont have the same problem as those with metal tubes and mounts.

HTH

ski trousers and jacket are a good bet, preferably with silk or "technical" (some of the clever fabrics used by Berghaus and people of that ilk) clothing underneath. Buy end of line or in the spring at the end of the ski season.

Decent hiking socks and boots for my feet and the silly fleece hat in my profile pick on my head.

Gloves are the trickiest bits for me; I tend to wear lightweight cycling or driving gloves and have found no substanital difference between £5 ones and £50 ones - most of the advertised differences like water and wind resistance are irrelavant as I try to avoid both of these conditions.

It's not been that cold yet, so just my normal wear with a coat and a Stargazers Lounge beanie. Coldest we've had is a mild -0.1C.

If it is colder (say -5C or below) normal clothes with my pj's underneath, 2 pairs of socks and a pair of gloves, then coat hat and, maybe a scarf. That has the added benefit of it being quick to get into bed when you've finished as well.

Perhaps not the best advice, but I found that eating lots of mice pies helps too! Since I put a few stones on, I've not really felt the cold through my additional 'blubber' - small surface area in comparison to mass means less heat loss, like whales!

Hands up that I'm a "southern softy" emigrated from London to Norfolk; but the fast few clear nights haven't just been cold, they've been blinking freezing. How do you keep warm outside in what is a sedentary hobby?

Chris

Personally I feel the cold quite a lot.

When the mercury drops I tend to wear a pair of long johns/thermals on my legs with a pair of insulated ski pants over the top.

On the top half, again a long sleeved thermal top, a micro fleece and finally a hooded down jacket over the top.

Extremities are protected with a pair of fingerless gloves and thick walking socks and a warm hat.

Heeps me toasty warm down to -20c which my Welsh dark site high up in Snowdonia National park hit last year during that really cold snap we had. ;)

I also have a hot drink on the go, makes a huge difference!

Those winter nights on solid frosted ground my feet tend to get the coldest as I can't wrap them up in layers like I can the rest of my body. I found a pair of thermal socks that are superb for keeping those tootsies warm.

I got them from Home Page for £3 which was £3 cheaper than similar socks at GO OUTDOORS or Matalan. Be warned though they give your feet a big cozy hug and you'll find you want to wear them all the time ;)

Remote desktop from the office to the observatory helps too ;)

Imagers eh ;)

Haha Thanks Cat, was waiting for someone with an Obsy to comment :)

Thanks everyone for the advice re layers and even mince pies.

Been to my local camping store and purchased one of these Berghaus Mens Manaslu II Jacket

In the sale too.

Cheers and clear skies,

Chris

I have found that you can't beat a good duvet / mountaineering jacket, especially in natural down. Windchill often plays a big part in feeling cold, so a breathable wind/ waterproof jacket on top will help a lot.

Just what I have been and purchased, so thanks for the advice - though a little bemused by all the choice - 80% down to 20& feathers meant little, but was toasty inside.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Norfolk is still positively balmy compared to here "up North"!

haha...I wish it felt balmy - thanks for the advice *awaits a Scottish observer to laugh at our tropical temperatures*

It's not been that cold yet,

Perhaps not the best advice, but I found that eating lots of mice pies helps too! Since I put a few stones on, I've not really felt the cold through my additional 'blubber' - small surface area in comparison to mass means less heat loss, like whales!

I did not realise you are a cat:rolleyes:

Check the Alpkit site and see when they have their jackets back in and get one that is big enough, as in one size bigger then normal. Couple of reasonable layers underneath and you will stay warm.

Sleeping bags, tents and camping mats with free UK delivery from Alpkit

When it gets round to Feburary you will get the East wind for 6 to 8 weeks. If you think it is cold now just wait. Makes this November weather seem warm.

Base layers from sports or outdoor stores are also excellent, i use them when golfing in winter and they work really well. Tog 24 also make good fleace hoodies, whick are great for keeping the back of the neck warm.

I also use pocket hand warmers of various styles. The gel ones are probably the best and can be reheated.

Just dont put them in the same pocket as your chocolate...

RK

Buy the biggest / Heaviest scope and mount you can afford, then the exercise of setting it up should at least keep you warm for the for first 30 mins to and hour!

Then you will be so blown away by the views that your large aperture scope shows you won't notice the freezing cold and by the time you do it will be time to pack up:)

At very least it's a good excuse for a big scope ;)

Anyone heard/seen heated backside warmers? I was out a week or so ago - before it got cold like now - and sitting on my wooden garden chair in my base layer + furry trousers still gave me chilly erm cheeks ;)

Will try one of the fabric garden loungers next time, but the not so upright.

[quote

When it gets round to Feburary you will get the East wind for 6 to 8 weeks. If you think it is cold now just wait. Makes this November weather seem warm.

When February comes around with the East wind, if it does get that cold, suspect that most of my observing will be done via Stargazerslounge (I did fess up to being a southern softy)

Chris

On a more serious note I found a Balaclava to be worthwhile. I would put as many layers that would fit and a coat that would keep me warm on the top of everest but it was the exposed bits i.e. my face that took the brunt of the wind and cold. Even if my body was warm I 'felt' cold and also on some occasions my lips were in danger of freezing together!

Archived