Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

Sounds great Tony !

Cheers Mike, just wish I had some astro gear with me. Just the binos.

Did you take the sqm meter with you tony? It would be great to find out the dark sky readings on pencelii through the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

I don't have one Gareth, it's something I've never owned or seen used. I agree it would be interesting to see a yearly record.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sat at the picnic table at Pencelli with my beloved. Gently sipping a 25yr old Glenmorangie and admiring todays images of the Beacons.

The sky is crystal clear and besides a flickering candle giving off an aroma that would kill off anything flying, there is not a single light that I can see in the whole camp site.

The first stars are beginning to show, marking the way for the inevitable wonders of the Milky Way.

Another sip, (hic) it's getting darker. The stars, they are appearing now in their dozens slowly filling the skies over Brecon.

Isn't life great, (I must stop drinking this stuff whilst on medication. (hic). :drunken_smilie:

You've managed to capture the moment perfectly there Tony. I'm very jealous, would have loved to have stayed another couple of nights with the weather we're having. The girls loved it down there although it would have been hard keeping the youngest entertained. Enjoy your last few nights, hope the skies remain clear for you.

James

Being retired isn't all its cracked up to be Steve. I'm still working hard, but for no pay.   :tongue:  ( and no sympathy from the Wife. )

I would have to dispute that one being retired, Warden of caravan park in the Brecon Beacons its amazing, and a glass of Penderyn Malt and an a amaing hobby could not wish for more!

Sat at the picnic table at Pencelli with my beloved. Gently sipping a 25yr old Glenmorangie and admiring todays images of the Beacons.

The sky is crystal clear and besides a flickering candle giving off an aroma that would kill off anything flying, there is not a single light that I can see in the whole camp site.

The first stars are beginning to show, marking the way for the inevitable wonders of the Milky Way.

Another sip, (hic) it's getting darker. The stars, they are appearing now in their dozens slowly filling the skies over Brecon.

Isn't life great, (I must stop drinking this stuff whilst on medication. (hic). :drunken_smilie:

Up for work 6am stressed and tired,Tony I'm putting you on block[emoji4]

Well here is a offer anyone wishing to spend a night with me from this Thursday and we have a clear sky, my wife is away for a week all you will need is a sleeping bag and your own scope then your welcome FOC. pm me

Excellent! You don't mind me bringing my wife, 3 children and my sister in law too do you?! I'm not sure we'll all fit in the sleeping bag.  :grin:

I've just broken up for the 6 weeks too.  :smiley:

Looking forward to getting out again now the nights are darkening.

I would have to dispute that one being retired, Warden of caravan park in the Brecon Beacons its amazing, and a glass of Penderyn Malt and an a amaing hobby could not wish for more!

You have just made me very jealous, the only thing I would change is the malt for Red Wine  :smiley:

Cheers Mike, just wish I had some astro gear with me. Just the binos.

I don't have one Gareth, it's something I've never owned or seen used. I agree it would be interesting to see a yearly record.

Sorry tony i havent the foggiest why i thought you had one. i do remember going to a meet in blaenavon but i turned up late and there was a member there but in the dark you cant see haha   my appoligies.    i am planing on "building" one   and you can get an app on your Apple IOS device thats actually really accurate using the iphones camera too.

thinks we need to convince the owners to get a weather station an a network one haha

ahhhhh,i  tried to book it yesterday as we have a motorhome  with electric, but its full for this weekend :(

I will try to book again soon as it looks a lovely site.

Bats

Steve   up @ 6am , I am out the door @ 5.50 and home @ 19.45 , 7 days a week for the last 3 weeks and the next 2 weeks

6 days off and start the  same for another  3 weeks

and its a bit HOT in a steel works in this weather

Lenny

Beware of the sky quality app' for the iphone, it only works on the iphone 4s , due to variations in the cameras installed in the later 5 series models. Also it requires a SQM to calibrate it.

Up for work 6am stressed and tired,Tony I'm putting you on block[emoji4]

:eek:

Steve   up @ 6am , I am out the door @ 5.50 and home @ 19.45 , 7 days a week for the last 3 weeks and the next 2 weeks

6 days off and start the  same for another  3 weeks

and its a bit HOT in a steel works in this weather

Lenny

Take care Lenny. 

As a lad I worked in Llanwern S W and the Board Mills where there smashed all the factory windows and handed out salt tablets because of the heat.

Hope you have air conditioning Lenny.

Latest purchase today was an Astronomy book at a local charity shop.

"Science History of the Universe - Astronomy"  by Waldemar Kaempffert && Herbert T. Wade  (1911)

There is a chapter on " The evolution of Astronomical methods of observation " which should prove interesting reading.

air con ???? lucky to have a water out on the job , had to throw all my clothes away today soaked to the skin  in hydraulic oil , pants socks the lot had to go

Bummer, but he company is going to send you to Calders with a blank cheque for some new threads, right ?

Hello Guys

i got this last sunday after an 8 hour an 40 min drive to fromby (the wife of the owner thought i was mad!)

its a Meade LX90 SCT its one of the older ones ( the EMC coatings) and was one of the last to be made in the US before they moved production to mexico.

How are you getting on with the new scope Gaz, have you had anymore opportunities to try it out?

Well I bought it with the electrics not working as it was one of them bite your arm off deals even without the extras and the seller said a cable come lose. Sadly haven't got an Allen small enough to take apart but I only wanted it for visual so electrics don't really bother me. I gave it a sort of first light and it preformed really well collimation seemed fine and the few stars were great planning on mounting the telrad soon (wanna get a rail first) and I be sorted. Tempted to try the old wixey an setting circul trick :). The stuff I wanna view is all winter stuff which is really annoying lol and works busy now so can't stay out late as up at 6 but I love watching FLOs Astro darkness creap up on the weather chart :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Archived