Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

There was a time when the astro buying condition was way ouit of control for my meagre budget but I have gone cold turkey and have fully recovered,though I cannot be allowed to look rhrough anyone elses scope for the ext few years for fear of a relapse :0) 

After me guys- hold hands and "I am an astronomer and I have a problem" lol 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

This morning looked like the begining of a nice day, so my Wife and I decided to postpone our work plans, and head out of town. We ended up in Abergavenny, had lunch, and walked about town. While on my usual hunt for books in charity shops, I happened to catch a glimpse of a small telescope in the back room staff work area. I asked to have a look at it, and needless to say, it came home with us.  :smiley:

Its a 60mm Prinz Astral Model 100 which has correct image view.  Label states made in Japan  ( Circle K ) 

Just need a few washers for the tripod.

post-21902-0-62087900-1405634511_thumb.j

post-21902-0-39275200-1405634525_thumb.j

Hello Dai,

It was hammering down in my neck of the woods too, as we woke up to thunder and lightning this morning.  At first I thought it might be the neighbours celebrating, as they just got Married yesterday.  :smiley:

Guess it's going to be one of those days spent inside reading and tinkering with astronomy gear.

My Wife spotted a good buy while shopping this afternoon, a 10' x 20' Marquee. Plenty of room, should be great for camping & upcoming Star Party's.  The camping gear is starting to accumulate.   :tongue:

Label on box.

post-21902-0-48462400-1405792264_thumb.j

That looks nice, plenty of room, could even get a blow up sofa in there.

Yes, 200 square feet should be plenty of room, however, it comes in a big box over seven feet long which also takes up a lot of room; hopefully I can bundle it into a shorter package, but for £99.00 at Home Bargains we couldn't pass it up. There was a partially open box there in which you could see some components and the robust tubular framework, which helped the decision to buy. 

post-21902-0-10686000-1405845375_thumb.j

Hello Guys

i got this last sunday after an 8 hour an 40 min drive to fromby (the wife of the owner thought i was mad!)

its a Meade LX90 SCT its one of the older ones ( the EMC coatings) and was one of the last to be made in the US before they moved production to mexico.

when i bought it i was only expecting the OTA on the forks and a tripod mount, but when i arrived it came with a large omionus silver box,   didnt open it as i didnt want to chance my luck and it turned out to contain about 10 eyepeices (sadly mostly 10mm) a 2" eyepeice the goto controller (might help) and what looked like a never used celestron skyscout which iv been tempted to buy just so if i have any friends over they can give it ago and plugged into the speaker it can help, well that was a really nice supprise to be honest :)

gave the scope a go (sadly got no c batteries but iv bought a power cable on ebay for it as the meade is a slightly chunkier socket to SW's) but it dosent matter if the goto dont work i only wanted this for visual work any way :) on altair (as it was the only clear part of the sky available at the time) and the collimation seemed fine (one main reason i wanted it was so i didnt need to get really expensive glass, i think a few hyperons will be enough for me:) ) and gave the skyscout a go last night and even though it took its time getting the GPS (which will be very useful for the scope as well) it worked perfectly (well as good as it can) so well impressed :)    might get it all out tonight for another go as its supposed to be clear!    iv got a photo on my phone of it next to my ETX70,  and it looks massive haha 

im looking forward to Astro darkness now and a meet   i wish i went to the one last week but was knackard after the drive :(

where did you get the marque from  mike?   iv been looking for somthing marque / gazebo as an "awning" for the trailer as its getting old now i dont really want to be attaching anything directly to it as i dont think it would last haha. so stand alone is the way i wanna go. 

Hi Gaz,

Got at the " Home Bargains " shop.

There Is one in Upper Boat, Tonypandy, and Aberdare that I'm aware of.

We purchased this one in the Tonypandy store, which is near Asda.

Edit: Yeah, we wanted a stand alone set up also. It has six side panels with windows. 

I figure rolling up the centre panel for access into the van parked along side.

where did you get the marque from  mike?   iv been looking for somthing marque / gazebo as an "awning" for the trailer as its getting old now i dont really want to be attaching anything directly to it as i dont think it would last haha. so stand alone is the way i wanna go. 

Buyology up behind Asda's in Merthyr Tydfil do a pop up gazebo and its nylon 3m x 3m its not one of these polypropylene one's no side's but very substantial. £60

Cleaned up the " Prinz Astral " today and sorted out the tripod issue. The scope appears to be  60mm by 640.  Magnification is provided by a single eyepiece which is threaded to a sliding draw tube. There are four detent stops which are marked 15x, 30x, 45x, and 60x ; choose your Mag,  then use the standard focuser. I took it up the mountain for a test drive this afternoon.  Its a cute little scope,   :smiley:   with optics comparable to our 60mm Carton refractor in the second photo. 

post-21902-0-97119100-1405973284_thumb.j

post-21902-0-92406400-1405973437_thumb.j

Sat at the picnic table at Pencelli with my beloved. Gently sipping a 25yr old Glenmorangie and admiring todays images of the Beacons.

The sky is crystal clear and besides a flickering candle giving off an aroma that would kill off anything flying, there is not a single light that I can see in the whole camp site.  

The first stars are beginning to show,  marking the way for the inevitable wonders of the Milky Way.

Another sip, (hic) it's getting darker.  The stars, they are appearing now in their dozens slowly filling the skies over Brecon.

Isn't life great, (I must stop drinking this stuff whilst on medication. (hic). :drunken_smilie:  

Nice for the two of you to be able to spend more time together.  I've got the 60mm Carton set up for Dorothy & I to do a little observing later, she likes fair weather Observing.

Enjoy the evening, and cheers to you both ! 

Sat at the picnic table at Pencelli with my beloved. Gently sipping a 25yr old Glenmorangie and admiring todays images of the Beacons.

The sky is crystal clear and besides a flickering candle giving off an aroma that would kill off anything flying, there is not a single light that I can see in the whole camp site.  

The first stars are beginning to show,  marking the way for the inevitable wonders of the Milky Way.

Another sip, (hic) it's getting darker.  The stars, they are appearing now in their dozens slowly filling the skies over Brecon.

Isn't life great, (I must stop drinking this stuff whilst on medication. (hic). :drunken_smilie:  

Sounds great Tony !

Archived