SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

The purchase of an eyepiece was what I needed as a boost to awaken from Astronomical hibernation, and this 40mm for our Telementor ( which was shipped in 5 layers of protection :thumbsup: ) has already got one eye opened.  :icon_cyclops_ani:

PICT0001(Small).JPG

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd revive this thread!

At a snails pace, I'm gradually converting to 2" 82° EPs.

With the price of them, it's been mostly birthdays and Christmas and almost exclusively 2nd hand, which is why it is taking so long. :D

The BIGGY I've been waiting for has been a 30mmish EP.

Long wait for a 2nd hand one that I'm prepared to pay for!

And then a 30mm Meade 5000 UWA appears on Astroboot.

I know they're the end of line, but they were very tidy EPs.

They said it was ex-demo with no box for £165, but were currently running a 10% discount!

It's arrived extremely well packed and vacuum sealed, so unless Astroboot re-seal EPs, I've bagged a new one!

Just waiting for the hols and the weather. :)

31 minutes ago, bingevader said:

Just thought I'd revive this thread! ................................

Just waiting for the hols and the weather. :)

Thanks for reviving this thread, it's nice to see my 40mm eyepiece again. While waiting for the weather to improve I forgot I had it; and congrats on the new acquisition !

56 minutes ago, bingevader said:

Excellent!

Is that one of the compressed air ones?

Or is it powered by something else?

Yes, compressed air - provided by a manual pump.  That was hard work for 2 classes!! - but at least no cost ?

Helen

If you want to borrow it for school just give me a shout. The rockets are just made with rolled up A4 paper and sellotape (decorated/coloured of course!) and a (reusable) plastic cap. It is great fun, as well as educational ?

Just saw your rocket launcher and headed over to mindsets online. Never heard of them before and I'm missing maplin electronics already. Love the kits on mindsets. Now my 4 yr old has his techy future secured once more. Happy me :hello2:

I took delivery of this beautiful made observing chair from FLO since it was for sale at £99 (originally £139). This was because it was discontinued so they were selling them out.

IMG_7621.thumb.JPG.b48f72305c7f7b5ff4ed77cf740a3424.JPG

The package had the new (for me) sticker on it...

IMG_7622.thumb.JPG.81f540d584f05bba4c3e8440451bd0ad.JPG

IMG_7623.thumb.JPG.fe73b0483d71652769cd97f9f479f7ba.JPG

The seat itself is not too big or too small.

IMG_7625.thumb.JPG.a9f651782cf395825dd6c4b29b5689a4.JPG

The seats height and angle can be adjusted and the seat can also turn a slight amount.

IMG_7630.thumb.JPG.ac2dbb06e18a495215931a0e2fea93b7.JPG

IMG_7631.thumb.JPG.842daa9a35306f17ad93bec341623b13.JPG

I am very excited to try this out since I am already impressed with the built quality and simplicity of it.

clear skies!

Thats a nice looking bit of kit.  Iv come to the conclusion I need a full body brace to even PA mine...damned arthritis!  Must keep an eye out for something similar I think.  Had the scope for an age, but not had chance to even set it up properly yet, so got a lot to learn...I reckon Im going to need a sit down too at some point.

2 minutes ago, Morddraig said:

Thats a nice looking bit of kit.  Iv come to the conclusion I need a full body brace to even PA mine...damned arthritis!  Must keep an eye out for something similar I think.  Had the scope for an age, but not had chance to even set it up properly yet, so got a lot to learn...I reckon Im going to need a sit down too at some point.

Thank you! It also makes for quite a travel setup(of course not by airplane).

824E0880-5E85-46E8-8EB4-4A49FBB8FF9F.thumb.jpeg.903e3f810d5e6e9a50b4f9dc46ed08cf.jpeg

I have removed the restriction bolt/stoppers and now it can go as low as you will ever need

WOW...that looks perfect.  Well, looks like you are set for some very comfortable sessions with that.  Its odd that in my experience, its sometimes the cheaper bits of kit that make the biggest difference.

1 hour ago, Morddraig said:

WOW...that looks perfect.  Well, looks like you are set for some very comfortable sessions with that.  Its odd that in my experience, its sometimes the cheaper bits of kit that make the biggest difference.

As many say it’s often the most portable and easy to use kit that gets used the most.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, recently found an interesting gadget on fleabay called a USB fridge (£8.00). It resembles a miniature plastic fridge that will hold one can of coke/drink, plugs into a USB port and has a Peltier cooler, fan and heat sink built into the base, which is easily removable.

My idea is to graft the works onto the back of a DSLR as close as possible to the rear of the chip to see if I can achieve any reduction in the artifacts on the image due to heat from longer exposures.

Probably not an original thought and would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this?.

Best regards.

Bob.

Picked up a nice Baader mark v binoviewer goes great with the 6” apm apo lovely views last night up Brecon and met a few new faces for me david  and steve, 

7F09703A-C140-467C-A72A-90C966EE939E.jpeg

On 06/05/2018 at 18:31, bobxuk said:

Hi all, recently found an interesting gadget on fleabay called a USB fridge (£8.00). It resembles a miniature plastic fridge that will hold one can of coke/drink, plugs into a USB port and has a Peltier cooler, fan and heat sink built into the base, which is easily removable.

My idea is to graft the works onto the back of a DSLR as close as possible to the rear of the chip to see if I can achieve any reduction in the artifacts on the image due to heat from longer exposures.

Probably not an original thought and would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this?.

Best regards.

Bob.

A bit long winded but he covers the process in full and does a decent job.

Archived