Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Astronomy Library is increasing.   :smiley:

Today I stopped in to nose about in a Tenovus Charity Shop and found a book called.......

" Stars  shown to the children " - by  Ellison Hawks  ( 1910 ) 

There are about 120 pages with 49 illustrations / photo plates, a couple are of an interesting large reflector.

I'll post photos after I find my camera charger.   :icon_scratch:

Well its not strictly a purchase but I have had a huge conker tree in my back garden felled, so indirectly I've bought a new big chunk of sky to play around with :-)

For all tree huggers I should point out that two baby native trees have been planted albeit in a far less intrusive area of the garden!!

today arrived for me some collimation knobs (collumate)  a tripod guider, eyepeice holder  and controller holder for the LX90 and an ETX adapter plate to put the ETX onto a normal tripod (got it attached to the celestron AZ tripod i have:)   gonna give it all a wurl tomorrow me thinks!!   and i got them all from astroboot for the nice pricly sum of £25   not bad haha

Our Astronomy Library is increasing.   :smiley:

Today I stopped in to nose about in a Tenovus Charity Shop and found a book called.......

" Stars  shown to the children " - by  Ellison Hawks  ( 1910 ) 

There are about 120 pages with 49 illustrations / photo plates, a couple are of an interesting large reflector.

I'll post photos after I find my camera charger.   :icon_scratch:

Camera is charged.  :smiley:

Its nice to have some new (old) reading material for these cloudy nights. Judging by the condition of the silk page marker the book has been well used.  Here are a couple of photos.......

post-21902-0-13626100-1408269940.jpg

post-21902-0-63894200-1408269954.jpg

I was passing an antique shop yesterday and popped in with the wife. This old'ish compound microscope caught my, so proceeded to pull everything apart to get at it. I was pleasantly surprised to see it complete and in pristine condition for a circa  !960/70. Apparently it came from university and was serviced regularly.

The microscope came in a purpose made lockable box,  with 4 x object lenses including a 100x to use with emmersion oil, and 4 ocular lenses.  I have several antique microscopes which are mainly ornaments and show pieces.

I always fancied something a bit more up to date but not to spend several hundreds doing so. This microscope is Russian made with great optics. Although I would have preferred a linear stage and electric light source, this one is more than adequate and capable of seeing bacteria. My needs are more simple, looking at grains of meteor dust from my house gutters is all I need it for. The price...well the chap at the shop wanted £85, yea I bet he did. I struck the deal at £40. He must have taken to my wife's fluttering eye lashes.  

post-7131-0-20187800-1408298081_thumb.jp

post-7131-0-62637600-1408298097_thumb.jp

Wow,  :Envy: that's nice Tony ! 

Last time Dorothy & I flew out of San Francisco, there was a microscope exhibit in the terminal. We arrived early so I had a chance to take some photos of the show cases. Not sure, but I think I uploaded them before either on the SGL Microscope forum, or maybe it was on another site.  :icon_scratch:  Anyway I'll post them in the "South Wales Lounge", to keep this thread on topic.

This morning looked like the begining of a nice day, so my Wife and I decided to postpone our work plans, and head out of town. We ended up in Abergavenny, had lunch, and walked about town. While on my usual hunt for books in charity shops, I happened to catch a glimpse of a small telescope in the back room staff work area. I asked to have a look at it, and needless to say, it came home with us.  :smiley:

Its a 60mm Prinz Astral Model 100 which has correct image view.  Label states made in Japan  ( Circle K ) 

Just need a few washers for the tripod.

Update:  I took a couple hours break from working on the house today, cleaned up and refinished the little scope. 

Here are some photos. Think it will be a nice little starter scope for our five year old Great Niece, she likes pink.   :wub:

post-21902-0-35018700-1408535835.jpg

post-21902-0-94861800-1408535927.jpg

post-21902-0-72047600-1408535954.jpg

post-21902-0-74703300-1408535996.jpg

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand pence.   :grin:  Here are three. 

Five 10mm holes for attachment to the wedge, four spacers cut from barstock,  a bit of trim work on the outer edges of the plate, and it should up and running for our October Star Party. 

Edit: Forgot to post photos, duh. 

post-21902-0-33540100-1409175003.jpg

post-21902-0-65406000-1409175025.jpg

post-21902-0-11844400-1409175045.jpg

The scope is in storage at the moment, but the mount attaches with a single long 3/8" bolt (or piece of all thread & nut) going through the center of both plates. I'll have everything marked for layout.

Edit: Spacers to be "between" both plates, about  1 3/8" or 35mm high, four of them.

Found these rolls of closed cell foam at a " 99 Pence" shop in Bridgend.  Looked good for making dew shields, lining cases, etc. 

Described as a Closed Cell Foam Mat -  500 mm  x  1000 mm  x  4 mm  thick. 

I have use for one, but it picked up a couple extras at the bargin price.

post-21902-0-94220900-1409855505_thumb.j

Archived