Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what binoculars do you own

jango fett

Finally I've got a good pair! Of Celestron 15X70, thanks to Rother Vally Optics :-)

They are looking good handheld, going to test them on a tripod tonight.

I got 2 pairs from Amazon both way out of alignment, the 2nd pair worse than 1st, Amazon refunded me with no quibbles.

Steiner Ranger Pro 8x56's-wicked bins which I love to bits (lifelong keepers)... Waiting for some Fujinon 16x70's in post at moment(Just couldn't help myself and the sale of all my internal organs has nearly paid for them! :) )

Have used; Strathspey 20-40x100's-awesome but as much hassle to launch as my scope so sold them... Strathspey 25x100's again lovely but ditto...Strathspey 10x50 Marines, super bino's but sold on due to various other reasons... Bresser 10x50's, my 1st binos after about 25 years without a pair, what can I say?.. Great bino's for £20 and it's really only after looking through some snob brand stuff that you could 'criticise' them, they're currently a gift to my nephew who is getting into astronomy-and I'm sure these will fuel the fire instead of extinguishing it!.....

...And now my all time faves: COMMODORE 10X50 RUBBER COATED (about £49.00 from Argos 30years ago when my older sister bought me some after weeks of hinting and whining!) Sure, these are both obsolete and probably optically terrible by todays standards, but these bino's advanced my enjoyment of the night sky immensely as a (then) 10 year old!.. I still kind of compare bino's to them now!..Sadly, they got damaged and were chucked :(   (Does anyone else have a pair of these?!)

15 x 70 Revelation Astronomy binoculars for me, used with a cheepo visionary Tripod  Lovely bins but a tripod or monopod is needed as the weight makes them difficult to hold still.  Super views of M44, M45.  Moon,  Jupiter and Saturn also look impressive through such small aperture.  Andromeda looks nice fuzzy through these bins as does Orion Nebular.  I think they cost me about £45 second hand a couple of years ago.  I would highly recommend these bins.  I have had great times at the seaside looking out to the horizon with these also.  Able to see the containers on ships right out on the horizon.  Lovely Jubbly.   However like the above posts suggest, if a tripod is out of the question then get 10x50`s

I've had a pair of 10x50 Helios Field masters for some time now, they're not bad but they do seem to fog up a little easily when it's cold.

Also I've just (as in 20 minutes ago) taken delivery of a pair of Helios Apollo 15x70s, my god they're massive by comparison. I bought a monopod to mount them on just after Christmas (when I ordered them) so I'm keen to try them out over the weekend (fingers crossed clear sky). Will have to get them out to a darker site than my back garden soon as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Helios Naturesport 10x50. My only astro kit for the first 18 months (ie until 18 months ago), until I got my scope. I use them much less now as they don't cope well with my astigmatism (even though I use glasses with bins).

Zeiss Jena 7x50. Wonderful sharp views, easy to hand-hold, a joy to focus, love 'em despite the tight eye relief (have to push glasses right up against eyes!!) and relatively small AFOV.

Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70. Got these recently second hand for very good price. Use them on a sturdy Bogen tripod. Delighted with them, pin sharp stars and the view of the moon is literally breathtaking. 7x and 16x make a great combo, stepping up to my richest field scope EP at 28x. Slightly snug ER and awkward to hand-hold are the only quibbles.

Helios Quantum 4 15x70 for serious stargazing purposes. Great quality, but heavy as h*ll. :grin: I bought a tripod for them and the tripod was twice the price than the binos... Oh well, it's a sturdy set. 

I also have 7x21 binos and 2x24 night vision monocular, they are nice to play with but not really useful for astronomy.

I use a number of binoculars but for astronomy my mainstays are the 10x50 Opticron Imagic TGA WP and a 10x50 Barr & Stroud Monocular that I keep in the car glove compartment. I could wax lyrical about the Imagic but you'll probably think I am trying to sell it  :angel: so I'll just say it suits me very well. The B&S monocular is also popular with our young sons when we go on walks because they haven't the patience to setup a regular binocular.

For daytime use I recently started using a 9x32 Pentax DCF BC. My wife likes that one too. 

Steve 

• 1 month later...

Despite learning the night sky with my father's 10x50 binos over 20 years ago, I then went without until just recently when I won a pair of Opticron Oregon 15x70 in an astro pub quiz.  I am quite looking forward to giving them a go under the stars and reacquainting myself with the joys of binocular astronomy.

• Like 1

I have a pair of 10.5 x70 BA8's (Helios Apollo/TS Marine etc) and a pair of 7x50 Vintage Bushnell Instafocus. These are subject to change at some point, I'm thinking a good pair of compact and low mag bins for hand held and a pair of large angled and interchangable eyepiece bino's mounted would suit me better (something like the Helios Quantum 5 or 6) :evil:

Chris