Narrowband

what binoculars do you own

jango fett

I've got a number of pairs from some nice little 8x30 Zeiss to 15x70's. I've owned them up to 25x100 but those were just too unwieldy for my taste.

As twotter says it's probably the 10x50's that get used the most though.

• Like 1

I have a set of Lidl-Special Meade 10x50s, and a set of free TS 15x70. I use both of these on a tripod - makes a really huge difference to views. Sometimes I use the tripod as a monopod and that can often be enough to steady things to get good views.

In the past I've had a set of 10-25x60 zooms (given to my GF's parents). I also had set of 8-15x50 zooms which I had for years and those gave pretty good views under dark skies when I was living under really dark skies.

I'd like to have a set of 20x100 on a proper parallelogram mount with a garden recliner for luxurious reclining and easy views :rolleyes:

Though if I was a lottery winner, I'd be seriously thinking about the JMI binocular scopes - those look really nice.

I reach for my Nikon 7x35s first... they were a bargain £49.00 deal off eBay with their 9.3 degree FOV. I also am another of the Lidl Meade 10x50 owners, bought years ago when they were a tenner a pair.

I had a trial with Helios Apollo 10.5x70s which whilst optically excellent, were too heavy not to be tripod mounted for me, therefore not worthwhile compared to the 15X70 Apollo - which are the same weight.

Currently looking at better quality, brighter 10x50s and can't decide which to buy. It seems that most of the ones with the best optical qualities are individual focus rather than ZCF and based on my experience with the Apollo 10.5x70s I would prefer centre focus - the Apollos were so stiff and awkward to use. I'll be watching with interest the other posts here to get some ideas :rolleyes:

Jenna

Edited by appalachik

I have about six pairs of Lidl specials (10x50's) all dotted around the house, ready to grab at a moments notice. Should get myself a proper pair of binos but I have found that these cheap things actually pretty good and I don't have to worry about dropping them, standing on them or even losing them - all of which sums up my general observing method!

James

I'm very happy with my 15x70s, but they really do need supporting on something to get a good view. Without a tripod or some other form of support I reckon 10x50s could well be a better bet.

James

I have about six pairs of Lidl specials (10x50's) all dotted around the house, ready to grab at a moments notice. Should get myself a proper pair of binos but I have found that these cheap things actually pretty good and I don't have to worry about dropping them, standing on them or even losing them - all of which sums up my general observing method!

James

6 pairs :rolleyes: so thats why i cant get any :);)